Monday, November 26, 2018

My Week


After returning from my trip to Greece, I had jet lag despite trying to say up late.   I figure if I can't sleep, I should get up and do something.  I would always find something to do especially in preparation for the holidays in addition to normal chores.

I queried my facebook friends for a middle name for Amber.  Sophie has a middle name, Sophie Lou, which I use during our affectionate moments.  I loved all of the input my friends have suggested. I found these wonderful help. I decided on "Amber Ann". Her middle name had to roll off the tongue with affection. There were 2 that had sentimental attachment. Amber Ann filled both. My sister, Kathleen Ann, passed away in Aug.

Wednesday evening I went to a meeting with the Vintage Iron Riders motorcycle club because I got a heads up that Vince Spiranza was their guest speaker.   He's the author of Nutz. 


Thanksgiving morning was the first morning that I woke naturally at a reasonable hour (6:30) but didn't leave me enough time to prepare for the Powerworks Turkey Trot. 
I did go to Mass at 9AM.  Donations were left at the steps of the alter for the food pantry.  We could also leave an item for our dinner to be blessed.   I left a gray bag of groceries.   Notice the bottle of wine in the middle.  I brought that home for our table.  A few saw me place the bottle at the steps and smiled with a thumbs up.
Seems there were more items to be blessed last year.  The church office called the other day and asked what my license plate was because it was in the church parking lot a long time and there was a card attached to many for Veterans Day.  Secretary said she was afraid it would get lost so she saved it form me.

I was impressed with the thoughtfulness of both Jacob and my parish for trying to get the card to the rightful owner of the vehicle with veteran plates.

We all had a hand in preparing the meal.  After the meal, we all had a ritual dog walk.

We watched The Ballad of Buster Skruggs on Netflix.  The 2 dogs got in a fight and one needed some Vaseline.  We had our traditional dog walk. 
Evening ended with a full moon.  Seemed to make "Amber Ann" bark a lot.


Friday evening I danced with the Central Illinois Civil War Dancers at the Peoria GAR Hall.  Meet our dance callers, Joe Hutchinson and Larry Wachtveitl.  It was the end of the demonstrations and looking satisfied.


 We shared the hall alternating with a German choir.  We got their conductor to participate in the Patty Cake Polka.
This man was not part of the dancers but rather the German Choir I  presume

 





Next Tuesday is the dedication ceremony for the Nativity Scene in our state capitol.  Chaplain Steve and I have a segment of the ceremony to place the Statehouse Wreath for Wreaths Across America in the rotunda.  The following was taken from an article by Illinois Family Institute.
"Military Veteran Rosemary Connolly will represent Wreaths Across America and honor our military by placing a wreath in front of the five flags representing all branches of the U.S. Armed Forces. This is Wreaths Across America’s 7th year with the SNSC".


I finished the remaining pumpkin pie for breakfast and a little whipped cream in my coffee. Real cream whipped not from a can or tub.

Satuday I pretty much stayed around the house but I did go to the Springfield tree lighting ceremony.  It wasn't even a real tree but made by Ace Sign Co.

Those girls were so cute. They were passing out candy canes.  The elf girls petted my dog girls.  When I went to bed, I noticed a sticky piece of candy cane on Sophie's belly.

Sunday I went on the Sid Wood Toy Run nick named as the oldest and coldest. We departed at 1PM.
 Santa and I rode to Contact Ministries with toys on a CanAm.  The drizzling rain started just as we arrived.  I got a ride back to my car in George's pick up truck.  Afterward I went to a visitation for Digger.  The snow didn't happen here until after I went to bed.  The blizzard seemed to be a lot worse north of us.  Still, I couldn't see out my frosted bedroom window that faced south. 
I'm a little upset that Amber will not do "down" like she used to.  It seems to be related to wearing a harness or a coat.  

Monday morning I went to exercise and then I took Sophie to the nursing home.  We had a special visit with a daughter in tears over her mother's condition.  They both needed therapy dog time. There were many others as well.  Then I bought a gift card for our church's angel tree.  


 





No comments:

Blog Archive