Monday, June 11, 2018

My Week


Last Monday's video taken at the Korean War Memorial. Hannah Kim is making a nationwide trip to visit the Korean War memorials.  I have a cameo shot in this video but I was leading her to a car where she could meet a Korean War veteran (and a general to boot).


Tuesday morning I took Sophie to St John's Hospital for a visit and received a letter of recommendation from Taylor since she is leaving.   I told her that her letter may not be read for a year as I'm still in training.  Right now I'm not sure if I'll be invited back to St John's Hospital with her gone.

This week begins our summer of History Comes Alive.  Tuesday I wore my new dress to the Lincoln Tomb to give tours before the flag lowering ceremony.  This was a moderate temperature day and I thought it might be OK for the wool.  Then on Friday our display at the Old State Capitol for our Soldiers Aid Society.



Wednesday I went to the Goodwill for senior day and found a lovely dress and some matching (by coincidence) exercise clothes.  I got some groceries then I went to the Methodist church for a visitation of one of our American Legion members.  We rotated 15 minute shifts standing at both ends of the casket.  I informed the funeral director that the layout was all wrong for a changing of the guard.   You see, the guest lined up coming through photo boards, then the casket and then the family which meant that when we changed guards, we had to break the line up.  It was very awkward.  Other funeral homes have a sequence of photos, family then lastly the casket.  There was no bottle neck that way.  Who wants to spend a long time staring at a casket?

In the evening I went to the Legion Riders meeting and took notes.  We are working on a Hog Roast for Honor Flight.  The man who bought my bike joined the "Sons of the American Legion" and the Legion Riders.
I watched "Land Girls" on Netflix.

I really need to find a windshield sun screen.  Can't find the one that I used to have but it was very faded.

Thursday my plumbing write up on my home inspection was fixed.  In the evening I went to a presentation on Camp Butler.  Apparently where my husband is buried used to be the location of Civil War barracks.  Also blew the myth that the point on the confederate tombstones design so that union soldiers wouldn't sit on them.  That's because they were marked with a wooden board until 1906.  There is a myth that the Confederate stones had a peak so that the Union soldiers wouldn't sit on them but that doesn't make sense that late after the war.
http://sangamoncountyhistory.org/wp/?p=10239

I fixed the flower spray in my bonnet.  Seems awkward so far forward.
before

after
I'd like to add some excess ribbon bow on top like this.

Friday evening I went to the Theater in the Park with 3 other veteran women went to see "The Last of Mrs Lincoln". We represented the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force together!

Saturday I returned Nick to St Louis withing 12 days.  I didn't want to get too attached to the cute little guy knowing that he'd never pass as a therapy dog. He can't walk on a leash without taking frequent breaks.  Weather was nice when I left but coming home there was a torrential rain.  The visibility was so poor on I 270 that there was a pile up and emergency vehicles in the opposite direction.  I got off at the next exit and hid under a bridge near Jefferson Barracks.  It let up enough for me to go over to the clinic and use the bathroom.  Then I got back on the freeway toward IL.  That storm caught up and followed me and I had to pull over again in Collinsville.   I did make it home safely.  In the evening I used a gift card for Texas Roadhouse.

I continue my quest to get qualified as a dog trainer to be able to register as a Therapy Dog evaluator.  I plan to assist with the agility next weekend now that I'm a member of the Capital Canine Kennel Club

Sunday morning, I went to Mass with the Catholic War Veterans for our Monthly Memorial Mass at St Agnes.  I noticed Chuck Murphy from the Civil War Roundtable as an acolyte.   Garden is looking good.


I know, it's small, but just for me.

Trying to sell my tent cot for $70.



No comments:

Blog Archive