Monday, February 6, 2017

My Week

So far this has been a mild winter.  I haven't needed my shovel for snow.  Just for a little ice that was semi-melted to shove out of the way.  In fact it's been dry and I need rain for the bare spot to grow grass.  Looks like it will rain this week.

The other day, I was looking for Sophie and found her resting up in my electric blanket that I use to curl up on the couch with.  I had put the blanket on top of my wine cart and there she is. 
When her head is down and those big eyes are not staring at you, she blends right in with my blanket. 

Tuesday more pain.  I did the senior core exercise and another reminded me that there is a yoga class at 9:15 so I stayed for that.  Wow, the pain of the pinched nerve took this normally flexible body in a tight crab.

Wednesday I went to Powerworks for senior strength and senior Zumaba.  Only 2 of us for Zumba but I took it extra light.  I felt a little better because I slept a lot the night before.  I just didn't want to hop to much to put pressure on my hips. 
In the afternoon I went to  St John's Hospice on a Therapy Dog visit. There was only one patient there. The staff seemed a little disappointed because they don't know the future of the ward with a pending closure date unknown.   I thought that was a good thing that there was only one.  I had quality time however. I got the activity director to pet Sophie. It was the first time she pet a dog. She's been afraid of dogs and I had a double miracle between the activity director and patient.  I know I don't want to push the dog on anyone but this activity director was the one that I wanted to see the affection of a dog she was missing.  She'd never had a bad experience but just avoided dogs.  She even admits that the therapy dogs are gentler than the average dogs but had a hump to overcome. The patient had a visitor who took pictures which I can't do under HIPPA but she had a nice close up I would have liked and didn't violate HIPPA.  I gave her my card but still haven't seen the photo in my email.

Thursday I went to the Lutheran High School with the VFW post commander and quartermaster of our post to present checks to winners of our local Voice of Democracy winners. 


Our winner went on to win at the district level and the state level will be announced next weekend.
Wow, I can tell by my stance that there's pain compensation.
 The principle
 Cynda Strong was honored for her student support for our essays over the years.

I went to my Thursday afternoon therapy dog visit at Reflections and in the evening I went to the visitation of one of the members of our Catholic War Veterans.   Friday was his funeral at Camp Butler.  Dang then there's another funeral for a CWV next week. I did not go to the funeral Mass because I wasn't feeling that well in my lumbar and I was supposed to help out at the Lincoln Tomb afterward.  When I got to the tomb, I didn't stay because there were few visitors and they had hired seasonal workers so they were pretty well manned for the workload and I'll save myself for when it gets busy next week with Lincoln's Birthday.

I picked up son very nice inspirational statues at the Salvation Army to replace my nativity.  I still have to put Christmas in the attic but it will have a warm up next week.

Saturday I went to an open house in Chatham for our Memorial Express Care.  They sure did a lot of remodeling.  It's like a small scale emergency room that's got limited but longer hours til 10PM.  Great for those infections that need immediate attention.  I had my blood pressure checked and looks god at 110/70.

Sunday morning I was a Eucharistic Minister and had to make sure that the chalices and all were in place.  Before and after Mass, Father John gave the blessing of Saint Blaise.  Sunday's reading here:
http://ccc.usccb.org/cccradio/NABPodcasts/17_02_05.mp3
Well as many of you know, I am a fan President Lincoln and share what I know about him at our historic sites. Today he made our Sunday sermon with one of Lincoln's stories about the man in the thunderstorm. The point is we could all use a little more light and a little less noise in our lives. Reminded me of the bumper sticker that I saw "Bark less ~ Wag more". Words to live by. http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/04/09/manvotional-more-light-and-less-noise/

I picked up a few statues at the Salvation Army. 
They have replaced my Nativity Scene. Well the Nativity is in the garage at the bottom of the steps to the attic waiting for a warmer day.
I also got a nice chair pad for the rocking chair that belonged to Frank's mom.

 As for the Superbowl, I watched it the first hour until Mercy Street, Victoria, and King Henry VIII is on at 9! Love all three! 
What can be learned from this year's Super Bowl?
1) never be overconfident
2) play till the end
3) experience matters in players and coaches
4) winners never quit
5) believe in yourself even if others give up

No comments:

Blog Archive