Monday, August 11, 2014

My Week

I got returned mail from one of my adopted soldiers that had returned from overseas but I sent it out on 17 April and was forwarded to Ft Hood and returned.  Well, since I usually end my salutation with "Please feel free to share my letter with a comrade who may not be receiving any mail", I think I'll include it in my next mailing.

Tuesday evening I wore my Widow's Weeds to the Lincoln Tomb Retreat Ceremony.  I explained Victorian mourning to some of the visitors and they took pictures.  I got a little gift from Laura and Johnathan that they got on their vacation in thanks for my contributions to the Soldiers Aid Society.  Very touching.  I came home and had a waffle and wine.  Actually I had leftover batter from breakfast's waffle and didn't want to wait for morning breakfast.

Wednesday I went on my senior day thrift shop discount day trip.  I picked up some lace table cloths.  I also got another orphan for the presentation on Civil War orphans and widows.  This one has three different expressions on a turn-able face under that cotton bonnet: happy, sleeping, and crying.
I also got a wooden gun case.  I would like to get a bb gun for that rascally raccoon.


Thursday I went to the Old State Capitol to see General Grant and Secretary of State Stanton.  I fixed myself some white eggplants that were from my garden.  I had heard that they would be more tender if salted.  Well I did and it tasted good but very very salty.
Friday I helped with beer sales at the state fair.
  
Boy, Marley has become a little beggar lately. I'm eating at my recliner and she scratches me and the arm of the chair. I put fresh food in her bowl before I sat down.

I should have put the date stamp on this just taken (8/8/2014). Fall came early for this tree in my neighborhood.  I wonder if it died.  I'll be watching.

Sunday I read the first reading at Mass.  I walked the dog and then went to the State Fair on my motorcycle.  I met up with some of our Pekin AmVets riders.  Bob gave me a nice AmVets sweater that he'd been wanting to give me for about a month.  It didn't fit any of their folks up there.  Then our state comptroller recognized some of our women veterans.  In the past years, the comptroller honored the burial detail and reenactors.  Here I am with members of our Womens Overseas Service League.



 Hear I am with the "Miss County Fair" Queen: Summer Robins.
L-R: Gwen Diel, Rose Connolly, Grace Miller, Comptroller Judy Barr Topinka, Sue Carrol, and Linda Crites.
Before the fair's veterans parade, I tried to lift the Big Bud.  I wasn't very successful but it made for a great expression.
I also met our 16th president of the United States at the Illinois State Fair.  I think he likes me.  Nooooo, he's not super tall, I'm super short.  Note that he's stooping slightly and I'm chin up to meet half-way.

Mike and Dave said it looked like my motorcycle needed tires.  I thought it was the the fair mud/dust.  Sure I got tires on the Yamaha recently and maybe I thought the tires were newer than that.  However, I pulled my records when I got home and they were changed in 2007.  Yikes!  I rode my motorcycle home with the flags up because I knew that my American Flag was ready to retire.  I was so tired that I slept alot.

Monday I planned to cut my grass.  It rained unexpectedly when I woke up. However, I was able to get the job done after 4PM.  I stopped by the state fair since I could get in free for senior day for the first time.  I had a  free hearing test done by the Lions.  I'm just a little below the worry line.  "What?" Repetition coming soon to a conversation near you.  I wanted to check out the Looking For Lincoln exhibit which I will be manning during the fair.

No comments:

Blog Archive