Monday, July 14, 2014

My Week

This has been a busy week.  I got a new couch at the Goodwill. It was marked $100 but it was senior day and I got it for $80.  After cutting the wet grass and dragging in clumps of grass, I realized that Marley would do the same and I'd need to get a cover for this.  I used one of the 20% off coupons for a cover from Bed Bath and Beyond and got a dark brown pet couch cover.




I'm trying out some Angry Orchard Hard Cider Cinnful Apple.  It's Gluten Free.  I've been really concerned about our wheat. 

Wednesday evening I went to an AmVets meeting.  Our group got a discount just for putting my location on Facebook.  Glad I brought my laptop.

I had to go to Marine bank for help setting up my online banking.  I needed reset.  then they ask stupid questions for me to set like "What is your oldest sibling's middle name?"  Ann --- too short.  Then they ask "What street did you live on in 3rd grade?"  56....too short. 
Who was your best friend in grade school? Nobody.  List goes on.  Finally found some I could answer like my son's MN.

It took me 2 days to cover a cardboard box for my mourning wreath.

I found a few dolls for the wicker stroller I got in my last blog to represent our living history example/sympathy for the orphans.


I'm a delegate for the Illinois American Legion Convention.  I heard speeches by politicians.  The man behind me told me that the mayor's speech was the same speech he gave to the VFW convention.  He promoted Springfield.  In the afternoon, much of the convention slowed down and I helped out with our Friday afternoon series of "History Comes Alive" at the Old State Capitol.  I stayed until 3:30 and went home to get the motorcycle out.   I rode my motorcycle in the short parade through Springfield with the Legion Riders.



Saturday I could have gone to the Legion and entered my motorcycle in the Legion Riders bike show like I did last year but there was some rain.  Then I got an instant message that Larry and Shirley would be going to Vandalia Heritage Days to dance so off I went.  There was rain up north at the Waconda Civil War reenactment.  I stopped at the Visitor Center and was given a token to light the fire breathing dragon.  She probably rewarded me for showing up to the heritage fest in period attire.  I stated for the Freedom Fest street party that followed.
I thought it was a little odd that the guide gave all his eye contact to the couple from Decatur and not a glance at me.  I was there for a tour as well but I may have been intimidating in my period dress.  The tour was informative and he did know his stuff.  Unlike the tour that I give (at capitol #5), this place still has the original floor.  Here are some pictures from Illinois's 4th capitol.




This event is fairly young and still not quite popular especially with an event going on in Waconda, IL in the North at the same time.  However, it is muddy there.  I wore the new cap that I just finished but I took off my sleeves since it was after 6PM and in the 90s.

 The lady who played the bass fiddle in the band told me there was a sad song about Rose Connolly. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXBrg-o2i6E

Click here for lyrics.  It's also known as "Down in the Willow Garden"

It was also the night of the "Super Moon"

Sunday I went to Mass with the Catholic War Veterans.  I was surprised to see Mark McDonald singing as cantor for Mass.  He is famous locally for his PBS show, "Illinois Stories".   Afterward we went to have breakfast at the Knights of Columbus.  I burned lunch so my son went out to Hardees.


I'm making alterations to this purple brocade dress that I got for $75 for the upcoming event in Bloomington.   It was made by Made by Servant & Co. Gettysburg PA. The back cord had to go and I had to let the bodice out.  The waist band is fine.  I'm putting in some hook tape on the bodice which will make dressing a bit easier.
  As always, everything needs shortened for my 5' stature.  I  noticed that the hem is uneven from that trim around the bottom and I'll have to measure top down rather than fold bottom up.  It's also double layer from the trim on the bottom to help with symmetry which is good but harder. Ug!


No comments:

Blog Archive