Tuesday, January 21, 2014

My Week

Wednesday I went to Peoria to look at homes with my son.  Those lower end houses can be real competitive for rental investors vs those that really want to live in them.  Often the online tour is different in person.  The house that I liked that was really reasonable had a sign on the door that said "Do not resuscitate".  Alan didn't like the metal roof that was coated and the air conditioning unit was installed in the wall.  I thought it was nice and maintained well otherwise.  We looked at 4 houses.

Friday evening I looked at more houses with my son again and he placed an offer on a house.  I learned that my son's offer on a house in Peoria was accepted.    Here's what it looks like: 






Saturday I went to a mission for a fallen ride captain of the Patriot Guard Riders, Terry Riva, in Staunton, IL.  It was pretty cold so I tried to minimize the outdoor portion of the ceremony as much as possible.


Sunday morning I read the second reading at Mass followed by our pancake breakfast. During Mass, there was a medical emergency and the parish nurses came to Jack's aid as the paramedics arrived.  I came home briefly and started a skillet lasagne and then back to church to help take money for the breakfast fund raiser.

Later I went to the library for a group that meets to discuss genealogy.   I hope to find the one missing link that will grant my son's admission to the SAR.
Sunday evening I went to the Commander's Banquet for the 114th Illinois Infantry and Soldiers Aid Society at the Chesapeake Seafood House.  General Grant was our guest speaker.  He spoke for 38 minutes which I recorded.  Servers were serving cake so it is not the greatest.  Here is just a small portion of that video where Grant describes his youth and business savvy buying a horse.

Monday I went to Camp Butler to see if there were any unclaimed artificial Christmas wreaths that I can collect and re-use for next year's Wreaths Across America.  Many of the decorations had already been cleared by staff but I was able to retrieve a box of them.  I cleaned my house knowing that my financial adviser, Jill, from First Command Financial would be visiting me at my home to assist with some transitional budgeting details from my retirement changes.  She doesn't get into town that often so I have to be available. 
After she left I went to a VFW meeting.  State service officers came to announce that a new service officer from Danville will make a weekly visit to our area (setting up office at Post 755) every Wednesday starting in March.   Now to hunker down for another cold snap coming through.



No comments:

Blog Archive