Tuesday, January 14, 2014

My Week

On Wednesday, I left the house after to severe cold snap and cabin fever.  I went to JoAnn Fabrics for some trim and tried to price lenses for my historic glasses.   I stopped at a few thrift stores since Wednesday is senior discount day.  I picked up my artificial wreaths that were at Camp Butler left for Wreaths Across America along the entrance that I recycle for next year.  On Jan 20th the staff will discard any remaining Christmas decorations so I don't want to be presumptuous and take any other wreaths should the families want them back between now and then.  In the evening I went to an AmVets meeting.  I asked Sean to stop by to pick up his birthday present early since it was heavy.  I got him an Amplifier that he had picked out.  It is trimmed in snake skin.You would not believe how Bentley stared at the door when you left. He thought you'd come back in.  I popped a cork on a bottle of  Cherry-Honey wine.  I don't recommend it.

I have been watching "Reign" online at CW TV.

Did you ever have a dream that felt real?  I dreamt that I went to bed with braids and one was cut off in the morning so I had to even things up.  

Friday evening I went to see "Lone Survivor" with my sons since Alan was in town.  Just got home from seeing the movie.  I do recall a man in the theater telling someone else in the theater "turn off the cell phone and show a little respect".  I wasn't expecting the tribute but credits at that moment. I was numb looking at the tributes.  They are real to me now.  Thank you.  This was not Hollywood, not a documentary, not reality TV but reality plain and simple. God bless all involved even the villagers that provided a semi-safe haven for transition.  WELCOME HOME MARCUS.

Saturday I went to a commissioning ceremony at the Illinois War Memorials at Oakridge Cemetery.  Afterward there was pizza at the Brickhouse Pub.  Congratulations Lt Devon.




I felt naked without my cell phone so I came home.  Later I joined Sean for his birthday with friends to Fire and Ale in Sherman.  It was crowded and we took the hint that they needed the tables so we moved over to Franny's bar.  That too was crowded but we watched the rest of the game.  Sean and I just wanted to stay until the game ended but then Alan put in more money in the juke box and Alan, Doug, Christine and Joe ordered another bucket. The bar got a little roudy and a couple danced on the bar.  There was even a man in desert cammies that seemed to be a major in the rangers.  Since we were with veterans we joked at the stolen valor outfit. As it was after 11 PM and the bar was walking distance, I drove Sean home and we slithered into bed.


Sunday morning I went to Mass with the Catholic War Veterans at the cathedral.  It was the Feast of the Baptism of Jesus.  The children were called forward for "Share the Word" and the deacon asked if they remembered their baptism.  A few raised their hands.  Knowing that many of us adults may not remember because we were baptized as babies, the deacon asked if we could remember the date of our baptism. He ended the homily with his own date and I had to come home and look up my own.
I couldn't find mine but my husband was baptized on 2/15/1976, Sean on 1/30/1977, and Alan on 11/19/1978.

I started up the motorcycle and of course Buck started on the second attempt. Wheezer didn't start and will need a trickle attached which I didn't do.

Monday I went to Camp Butler to look up a lost member of our AmVets Post that did not show up on an internet search (without charging a fee).   So I created my own memorial here: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=123361632
I had a call from work about a batch job that was really not available to train on in December.  I believe I explained it over the phone but just in case.  Michael was using my kiosk-like desk with headphones and even though it was facing forward he didn't see or hear me come in.  I had to throw pennies at him.  Bob was on crutches and Dave could hardly talk from his cold.  He did not come to work on Tuesday so Dennis had to pick up the task and I came in to help him.

I watched The Awakening Land Part 1 thru part 3 on YouTube.  Sure beat daytime TV.

I stopped by Aldi on the way home.  I went in for almond milk and vanilla flavoring.  Also got yogurt, ham, fruit and fish.  I tried the coconut water since it has a lot of potassium but tastes gross.  I did like the goat cheese with tomatoes.  I also picked up some marked down Christmas chocolate truffles for the soldiers boxes (if it last that long and I don't get tempted).

As with most people after the New Year, I tried to get back into healthy eating.  After a fun birthday bash weekend, I had sauteed green pepper for breakfast and lentils and ham for dinner. 

If ever I can't ride my motorcycle I was thinking about getting an Elio.  This may be a few years down the road because I'm not an experimental buyer

Tuesday morning I noticed that the dark clouds were drifting in while walking the dogs.  It't not going to be as nice as Monday.  I heard that there was more snow in down than here.  I stopped by the office to show Dennis how to set up a new ebatch user.  Then I had lunch with the Womens Overseas Service League. 
At 3PM I went to "members only" preview of the costumes worn in the Lincoln movie over at Union Station across from the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum.  This exhibit will be open to the public for 4 years starting on Friday.











They said I could take photos without flash but not of the original artifacts in the case.

 I stopped at the VFW and had chicken wings at the bar.  I didn't want a full, all you can eat, meal.  It was nice to see Trevor Baird there.  He is also from Chatham.  Then I went to meet with our Soldiers Aid Society at 6PM.  It was nearby the VFW anyway.  I introduced John whom I fixed up a gentleman's outfit so he could join.  If his membership gets approved, he'd be the third man in the Soldiers Aid Society which is mostly ladies.  However, the advantage is that after 2015, Springfield will go back to the way things were before Lincoln became president and there was no Civil War.  We started to discuss our summer events and calenders were being loaded

~ till next week


No comments:

Blog Archive