Monday, March 18, 2013

My Week

This week the reporters started off every news segment about the conclave and procedures of electing a new pope.  All seemed fine before and during the conclave as informative and objective.  As soon as Pope Francis is named, I heard a reporter as another cardinal if he's ever been mentioned in a sex scandal.  Makes me question the clandestine objectivity they had before he was named as if they were waiting there for the name so they could quickly run out and dig up a new scandal for the news.  From the good news side he seems to be a very humble man and worthy of leadership in these times. 
Here is another example of an article that tries to put down Bergoglio  "Priest kidnapped by junta: Reconciled with pope"
http://news.yahoo.com/priest-kidnapped-junta-reconciled-pope-113005294.html Of course that is Yahoo news which is a bit like a tabloid.
Reporters went after his old flame that refused his proposal many years ago.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/broken-heart-led-pope-francis-priesthood-145459675.html
Now they issue an international arrest warrant
http://amresolution.com/2013/03/15/international-arrest-warrant-issued-against-pope-francis-i-jorge-mario-bergoglio-for-crimes-against-humanity-and-child-trafficking/
Looks like they're after Queen Elizabeth and the Archbishop of Canterbury too
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread926267/pg1

Busy week once again.  Tuesday evening I attended a meeting of the Soldiers Aid Society.  I gave them some period clothing that is too big for me for the sharing closet.  Wednesday night I had an AmVets meeting which I requested that we move along so I could make a 7:30 practice for our Passion skit.  Practice went well enough that we will not do another until just before showtime on Passion Sunday.  Thursday evening I went to a meeting of the Catholic War Veterans and got a good photo for an article in the Catholic Times.  I posted the article about our donation to the veterans homeless shelter on our blog here:
http://post1916.cwv.org/blogs/post.aspx?id=9

Left to Right:  George Pempek (treasurer), Pat Noel (Post Commander), Penny Harris (Director of Fifth Street Renaissance), Rosemary Connolly (historian), Joan Garvert (adjutant), Resident, and  Robert Wolf (Welfare Officer)

I put a new battery in the motorcycle and started 'him' up to run.  I could not get the fuse box cover over the battery.  At least I was able to get it running and the juices cycled.  After work on Friday I got on Wheezer for a short trip to the Legion fish fry for about 20 minutes to drop something off.  I left the garage door open so I didn't want to stay too long.    Alan stopped by to get his mail and put it back Buck's fuse cover back together.  He thinks the new battery is slightly taller so the cover won't clip to the lip gripper.  



Saturday I was asked by the Old State Capitol Site Manager if I could help out.  I said yes but only before or after the St Patrick's Day parade.  I walked in the parade in my period dress along with the 114th Illinois Infantry as part of the Soldiers Aid Society.  The morning was foggy and cool.  Many watching the parade were cold but not I.  I had wool and "underpinnings".  Funny...visitors in the summer months always ask if we're hot in our period dress and then they ask if we're cold when properly dressed.  As we walked by the bars and saw all the drunks (an noon no less) I told Laura we should pass out pamphlets about the temperance movement that informs them of the "Demon Whiskey".  These two ladies were chosen to carry our banner because they were the same height.  That sure left me and Laura out. Ha Ha!!!
My son saw me and called out so I turned for this picture he took.  Anyway, we were stopped.  At least we had a Civil War drummer letting us know when to proceed whereas the ladies holding a banner after us kept running into us when we stopped.  They didn't know the language of the drum behind our  group.
Along with our final blessing at the end of Sunday's St Patrick's Day Mass, it was preceded with an Irish Blessing:

  

“May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping.”


As part of our lenten decor, we have some trees and on the trees there are a bunch of cardinals.  I told the blind man in front of me about it and he thought there should be Cubbie bears for equal time.  Father called it a conclave. 
Last year I was in a talent show at church last year and did my impression of the Civil War Nurse, Belle Reynolds.  Others sang in the talent show but that's not my gift.  This year I did my story of the Warm Fuzzies and Cold Pricklies.  I put on a whimsical costume to look like I was telling a fairy tale.
http://www.emotional-literacy.com/fuzzy.htm
I told about how you could place your warm fuzzy on your lap, shoulder or head and it made you feel all warm and fuzzy all over.  I had an assistant pass out the cotton balls and another to pass out the cold pricklies.  I was flattered to see a lady with a cotton ball on her shoulder after my story.  We had a nice meal afterwards.



I can't believe my poinsettia still survived from November's AFSME Christmas Party.






No comments:

Blog Archive