Monday, November 26, 2012

My Week

Tuesday, Governor Quinn terminated the AFSME Union Contract.  Standing by for the volley.
I got a chair at second hand store.  Dan Bedell helped me with the seat tacks and minor gluing.

My son took my dogs to get their shots on Tuesday.  Bentley also got some meds for a form of bronchitis.  He had been hacking or as we've been calling it - honking.

Thanksgiving eve I walked the dogs as usual.  The smell of homes cooking Thanksgiving dinner was in the air.  One family was unloading groceries and her toddler wanted to pet the dogs.  I said it was OK to pet Bentley but Marley would not be comfortable with strangers much less a little boy.  So Bentley was eager to meet him and that startled the boy with his approach.  So then the boy wants to pet Marley whom we asked him not to.  So then I got home and thought I should prepare the stuffing in order to have everything ready to pop into the oven in the morning.  Lord knows I won't have help since my son sleeps in.  I cut a twig of sage from my garden to flavor my cornbread dressing.

Alan picked out this wine for Thanksgiving dinner.

Now I normally attend Thanksgiving Mass and bring a canned good for the poor and have our wine blessed for the meal.   I told Alan I would take the bottle to Mass and he reminded me of the brand name and it even lists the sins on the label:

From the back label:
“I’m raging with ire, an ocean of fire,
My Wrath is the path to all I desire.
Oh Lord, forgive me my Zins.
I’m inflated with pride, near-bursting inside,
A self-centered repenter, Vanitys’ bride.
Oh Lord, forgive me my Zins.
I’m mired in mud, inert as a slug,
Sloth is the cloth that’s woven my rug.
Oh Lord, forgive me my Zins.
I eat day and night, consuming all in my sight,
A Glutton with nothing but a huge appetite.
Oh Lord, forgive me my Zins.
My will I ignore, my Envy’s a chore,
Over zealous and jealous, I want so much more.
Oh Lord, forgive me my Zins.
I’m ravenous to feast, an insatiable beast,
I concede to the Greed demanding release.
Oh Lord, forgive me my Zins.
I hunger for trust, my craving’s a must,
My sin is the Zin enslaving my Lust.
Oh Lord, forgive me my Zins.”
– Kevin Phillips

We both burst out in laughter at the thought of this wine in church.  Here is a picture of the food blessing at the altar.  Some were items were there to be blessed and placed on our table and others were for the food pantry.  I brought pasta.

Weather was nice so I decided to take the motorcycle to church.  My little bike wouldn't start despite a new battery a few months ago...which was probably when I used it last. My son put it on the charger.  I rode 'Buck' to Mass instead.  Later, when Wheezer finally started, I rode about 30 miles around the area. Haven't had much opportunity since getting back from vacation.  It's either bad weekend weather, too dark out, or I have too much to haul to ride to my destination. Wheezer still makes a noise around 50 MPH and is inconsistent so my mechanic doesn't hear it. It sounds like a battery type alarm clock going off.   I filled the tank and it read 76.4 MPG. Whoot.
I walked my dogs around the block and noticed this Nativity with a stuffed dog in the manger.  The homeowner walks her dog Henry alot.  Henry looks like the stuffed dog.


Now we are off to black Friday sales. My son and I went to Walmart for a 32" TV.  They were well organized with a long line and guarantee availability.  Gave us each a plastic card which had to be paid by midnight.  Then you register the card number online and they notify us of pick up by email.   Wow, that's like an easy layaway.

Friday I hit a few sales but skunked on most of them.  I needed some more trim at Joanne fabrics to match the project I'm working on but they didn't have it.  It was so crowded that they recommended getting a ticket for the cutting table first and then shop for the fabric.

In the evening I went to see the seasonal Civil War Ball demo in Peoria and too this video of the Cumberland 8 which is a dance that I haven't learned.


Saturday evening I went to see the Sing-A-Long Sound of Music.  I wore a curtain-type dress.  Other costumes were a lady with a guitar and she dressed her two girls in green and white curtain dresses that she made and even had a bandaged finger like Grettle had when her brother bit it.  
Rules: hiss for the Barroness, boo for the Nazi, Aww for Grettle.  Hold up the question mark card  for "How to you solve a problem like Maria?",  we had a popper for the kiss in the gazebo. There was a mother with her 8 year old daughter next to me.  I took the little girl on stage with me together for the costumes.   This mother could really sing well and she told me she had played Maria in a college play.  Outstanding!  I asked tis family if I could take thier picture.  The boy was "Far" a long long way to run.

Sunday I was a reader at Mass.  It is the feast of Christ the King know as the last Sunday of the Church Year.

My neighbor just let me try this Moonshine apple pie. Sure is helping my sore throat better than Ricolla but I think I'll be in my jammies for the crash.  I may need to get this looked at.

Illinois one of two states to erect a Nativity Scene in state capitol and there is a ceremony for it on Tuesday.




No comments:

Blog Archive