Monday, November 19, 2012

My Week


My son spent three days in DC for an intense job interview which he was not selected for.  I know this was very disappointing for him.

Tuesday I had lunch with the ladies of our Womens Overseas Service League.  I couldn't stay long.

On my Saturday morning dog walk, Marley brought home a road kill squirrel that was still fresh.  I realize that this is the real reason she is so eager when I say "Walk".  I let her in the back yard but she keeps bringing it in through the doggie door flap.  I had to block it off.  I believe she wanted to rip in the comfort of the house.  Since she seemed to have difficulty, I had to help open things up with a knife.

In the afternoon I donned my period dress and helped volunteer.  I gave a tour to a very interested and receptive group.  Meanwhile there was a presentation in the Supreme Court Room on women's clothing which was so Victorian that the presentation was for women only.

I went in my hoop with 9 other historical site interpreters. My seat was in the middle. Some not in our group hoarded the 2 end seats on both ends. I had to pardon myself to go pee and cracked up along the way because they probably thought they were lucky to have the aisle seat. BTW, the rings seemed to hug the a nice diagonal down between the seat.Afterward a group of the site interpreters went together to see the new Lincoln Movie and then went to Steak and Shake.

Sunday morning I went to Sherman for our Memorial Mass with the Catholic War Veterans.  Afterward we had breakfast.  Then I went to the Kumler Church where ABATE was hosting the annual Thanksgiving Dinner for the low income and homeless.  It is nice for us to put on this annual event and it is open for them to eat for 2 hours without seconds until we close up at 2PM.  Then we pass out to-go boxes.  It's amazing the woman who was turned down seconds on desert until all had a chance and claimed we turned her down because she was the wrong color.  She wanted to see if she'd be turned down by both servers too.  I explained that we wanted to make sure all had a chance before we gave out seconds and our goal was NOT to have leftovers anyway.  What seemed obvious to me suddenly made sense to this woman.   As we passed out the remainder of our food in sacks to the people, one lady openly thanked us and gave an applause.  I helped with the clean up as the church was kind enough to provide the space.  We did have plenty of help among the members from ABATE and the health inspector made no write ups two years in a row now.

My sons went to St Louis to see a Rams game which they lost.  They got terry sport wrist cuffs.

 I usually take the stairs to the first floor but since I had my hands full and an elevator was open, I asked the other gentleman who was going to the fifth floor to hit two for me.  Well, the elevator bypassed my floor.  So I hoped it would catch it on the way down.  Noooooo!  It took me back to the first floor and I ended up taking the stairs anyway.



No comments:

Blog Archive