Monday, October 19, 2020

My Week

 Monday I took the girls to see some fall colors at Lincoln's New Salem.

 

 

Grist mill and doggie quality time.


The best colors seemed to be in the parking lot. 

After seeing fall colors, I went to the VFW meeting at 6PM and then I went to Nosework 2 class at 8PM.

Here is the video progress from Nose Work 1 class.  https://youtu.be/3pasqOmnaLU



I'm hoping these nose work classes will get her sniffing focused. Not so much for the ribbons but that she's good at it and constantly sniffing. I can even hear her sniff. It has been our downfall at trials too because of her lack of focus. Monday we started Nose Work 2 classes by putting a treat in a box for her to find. Inside the box there are 3 q tips scented with clove, birch and anise. Our instructor explained that when we walk in a room, people smell beef stew. A dog will smell meat, carrots, and celery separate. That's why all 3 odors are in the box at the same time.

After exercise on Tuesday, I took Amber to agility lesson followed by a test in Decatur.  It's agility for small dogs known as teacup agility.  I did 2 trials but was told I could make my 3pm massage appointment but I had to leave before the 3rd trial.   You  may recall one of my post quarantine goals was to get a much needed massage.  I have been sore from stress, exercise and dog training.  Well I learned from a friend that I was refunded for the trial I missed and got 2 blue ribbons for the trials I failed.  I plan to reject these ribbons next session until earned.  Just because I was best at not qualifying doesn't mean a reward in my opinion.

Wednesday evening I went to agility practice.
I am getting concerned that Amber showing fear of men.  She's not afraid of my son but at Deb's barn, a man walked in the door at the end of practice and she growled. After that I stopped by the VFW to drop off a Wreaths Across America flyer and some comrades wanted to come out and see Amber. They are dog lovers.  She cowered away.  I've been gradually noticing this with men in other situations as well.

Amber's photo is in the Fall 2020 TDI Newsletter when she did tricks at the nursing home. The newsletter is now available for viewing from the following link.

http://tdi-dog.org/images/Fall_2020.pdf


Saturday and Sunday, Amber and I went to Glen Carbon for the CPE games. The games are Standard, Jumpers, Snooker, and Jackpot. 

The first trial she had that look in her eye that said "I'm going to take off and do a zoom zoom".  I had a slight delay and talkin' to her and she was great.  We got 5 Qs (qualifying scores) that came with 4 blue and 1 red ribbon on Saturday.  Sure we are just starting out at level one and jumping at 8 inch bars.  There's a pedigree Border terrier there but she's jumping 4" bars.  There's the difference in her mixed background. Well, let's just say her withers are on the border between the two jump heights.  So on Saturday we qualified in all 5 trials.  Twice she rolled on her back in the turf at the ready position.

  Saturday 10/17/2020:
               Colors L1 -  8 Inch - Judge: Steven Klein
               Distance: 45 yards  SCT: 50 seconds
               Score: 5 (Q)  Time: 24.32 seconds  1st Place

               Jackpot L1 -  8 Inch - Judge: Steven Klein
               Score: 32 (Q)  Time: 48.00 seconds  1st Place

               Snooker L1 -  8 Inch - Judge: Steven Klein
               Score: 37 (Q)  Time: 23.16 seconds  1st Place

               Standard L1 -  8 Inch - Judge: Steven Klein
               Distance: 119 yards  SCT: 65 seconds
               Score: 5 (Q)  Time: 60.28 seconds  2nd Place

               Wildcard L1 -  8 Inch - Judge: Steven Klein
               Distance: 91 yards  SCT: 56 seconds
               Score: 0 (Q)  Time: 25.13 seconds  1st Place

    Sunday 10/18/2020:
               FullHouse L1 -  8 Inch - Judge: Steven Klein
               Score: 16 (NQ)  Time: 30.49 seconds  1st Place

               Standard L1 -  8 Inch - Judge: Steven Klein
               Distance: 106 yards  SCT: 58 seconds
               Score: 5 (Q)  Time: 26.02 seconds  2nd Place

               Snooker L2 -  8 Inch - Judge: Steven Klein
               No Time

               Jackpot L2 -  8 Inch - Judge: Steven Klein
               Score: 48 (NQ)  Time: 60.56 seconds  2nd Place

               Jumpers L1 -  8 Inch - Judge: Steven Klein
               Distance: 51 yards  SCT: 56 seconds
               Score: 10 (NQ)  Time: 34.83 seconds  2nd Place
 

Colors on Saturday for a blue ribbon 


course


Jackpot on Saturday for a blue ribbon 


course


Snooker on Saturday for a blue ribbon


course


Standard on Saturday


course


Wildcard on Saturday


course

Sunday CPE

Sunday we only qualified in one of 5 trials.  She started off with a zoomie toward a bar setter sitting on the side.  I was able to get her back on track but lost my place.   I needed a score of 19 to qualify and only got 16.

Standard


 Jackpot map that we went overtime on the gamble. We had the points but lacked the distance because I had to stay on the outside of the dash. Amber was confused.


standard map


Next was standard.  We got a second place with about a 4 second difference.

I mad other mistakes.  Like walking thru a jump for a shortcut.  Duh.  Amber and her loving handler with her 6 qualification ribbons.

Well it was a sports center and the trial was for Canine Performance Events so a sports background seemed appropriate.  The arcade was covidly closed.
The sports facility had two arenas.  The other side was leased out to New Hope church.  They did not wear masks but shared the same common areas outside the arena despite the sign on the door.  I didn't see a single one of them in a mask.  It rained at the end of the trial and most of the way home.  The rain was much needed because of the dry conditions and fire hazard.  There's been fire warnings yet the other evening I saw someone sitting by a backyard campfire. Duh!  There have been numerous fires in central Illinois according to the news.

The low gas light came on around shortly before getting off the freeway for home and straight to Casey's for a fill.  Sean had done his laundry and kept Sophie company.  He turned the heat on for me when I got home.  Season is changing and time to get out my winter quilt.

I've registered Amber with a barn hunt number. Now to find an opportunity to find a rat.





 


No comments:

Blog Archive