Monday, January 6, 2020

My Week

Happy New Year

Last year's goal of becoming an evaluator for Therapy Dog International was met with disappointment.  I committed to this goal by completing the only missing requirement: which was one year dog training experience.  I intended to accomplish this missing checklist item by adopting another dog as a training subject.  After 14 months of training Amber, I applied and I was turned down.  In the process of training, I had to experience dog trials which are very addictive.  In other words, I apply and pay to take a tests, and when a title is obtained and still have another at the same event paid for, you can bump up.  Then I look forward to the next time trials are open so I can finish that level since it takes 3 trials to get a title.  This year's goal is to finish off where I left off with Amber's titles.  So far she has titles (suffixes), AKC Canine Good Citizen (CGC), AKC RN (Rally Novice), AKC RI (Rally Intermediate),  AKC TN (Trick Novice), DMWTD NTD (Do More with Your Dog ~Trick Novice), DMWTD Intermediate Trick Dog (ITD), AKC Canine Good Citizen Advanced (CGCA) most recently this week (see below).

Monday night I took Amber to the Capitol City Canine Club to test for AKC Canine Good Citizen Advanced title.  We passed but I was sweating her jumping and sniffing.  She out shined the other dog that took the same test that night in my opinion.  Had I been the evaluator, I would have failed the jumping on the visitor.  On the other hand, the evaluator had a very wimpy evaluation of the "leave it" portion.  We were to walk close to a silver dog bowl with a mesh cover over a sealed package of cheese balls.  I've practiced for this under much stricter conditions.  
Tuesday morning exercise warmed me up but leaving the gym proved a difference when I walked out into the cold air.   I was going to celebrate New Year's Eve with some friends that I had dinner with last year.  I really enjoyed their company because it got me home at a reasonable hour.  However, my hostesses's mother passed away on the morning of Dec 31 cancelled those arrangements.   So this was how I spent New Year's eve.

I was about to walk the girls and before I got to the end of the front yard, fireworks!   Resulting in panic back to the house.  Amber has not been a willing participant in her late night mini-walk at 9PM since.

New Year's day I went to Mass for the Solemnity of Mary and then watched the dog show. I was tickled to see the Pekingese win best in show.  Wasabi doesn't look anything like Sophie.  Sure she's been nicknamed "fluffy butt" but that doesn't hold a candle to Wasabi's fluff.

Thursday I went to Yoga and I mentioned that Amber got her CGCA.  I told her that I was trying to teach Amber "say your prayers".  She said that her King Charles Spaniel can do "nameste".

I attended a presentation Tales from the Vault: new fashion exhibit sneak peek
https://newschannel20.com/news/local/tales-from-the-vault-new-fashion-exhibit-sneak-peek

Saturday I did the "Widows and Orphans" program at the library for the local DAR group.

Sunday I was the first reader at Mass.  Listen here:
http://ccc.usccb.org/cccradio/NABPodcasts/2020/20_01_05.mp3
I wore a skirt and sweater that I hadn't worn in years.  Not since I was working.  The elastic really needs replacing and that goes for the slip.  I like this nylon slip because it has less static than the newer satin slips.  Nothing I hate more than a skirt that is sticking to static cling.  I don't even trust the sprays. I got a lot of compliments on these rags.  Note this was in the grocery store and I am still wearing my dog treat bag.   Amber waited while I shopped,


After that I took Amber to the nursing home to perform (AKA practice) her tricks.  I am slowly making progress on getting her head down to say "prayers".  Her head is down in prayer.


Then at 1pm I went to "yoga and wine" through my gym, PowerWorks.  This was held at 3Sixteen Wine Bar.



At 5pm I took both of my dogs to rally practice at the club.  I tried Sophie for the first time after Marge hinted that she never met my other dog.  I never imagined Sophie doing rally work.  She did okay because she knows basic commands but there are a few things to add like "call front" and "go behind around".  I think she could do beginner and intermediate rally but I wouldn't expect her to go advanced because it's off leash and she's partially blind.  This is quite an eye opener and a new appreciation for Sophie.  The pekingese are not known for this kind of trial as a rule.  I wonder what the reaction will be when I bring her to the ring.

  Illinois Min Wage jumps from $8.25 to $9.25 (12% increase) on the first of January.

No comments:

Blog Archive