Monday, July 16, 2018

My Week

Tuesday I tested out my PowerPoint program at Books on the Square for my presentation on Thursday. I later went and got an HDMI extender. Then I went to the Lincoln Tomb from 2PM -7.  We had a special visitor, General Grant, AKA Curt Fields.  I was also the master of ceremonies for the the flag lowering ceremony.  That was an honor.  Since I was rather busy between our special guest and visitors to the tomb, I was going to help Peggy take names for the recipient of the flag after it was lowered.  I only jotted down one name and his name was picked for the presentation!!!!

"Some 15,000 books have been written about Lincoln — more books, says Tetreault, than have been written about any other person in world history, with the exception of Jesus Christ." https://www.npr.org/2012/02/20/147062501/forget-lincoln-logs-a-tower-of-books-to-honor-abe

 Wednesday the dreaded dental check up.  All went well. 

Every now and then, someone will say I have a Milwaukee area dialect.   Huh!
Finally had a trouble spot fixed that often flooded my crawl space.  Thanks to Deep Roots in Chatham.

Can't wait for the next rain to see water come out here.

Thursday evening I gave my program on Civil War Widows and Orphans.  I had to explain why I couldn't do a widow in "first person".  If so, I'd be standing shrouded in a veil for 40 minutes saying little as was the custom.

I was a little nervous because this is a tough crowd of informed Civil War enthusiasts but I did clip this compliment.
Two U. S. Grant reenactors were present as well as the commander of our 114th Illinois Regiment which is parent organization for our Soldiers Aid Society.  I only saw one lady nodding off but there could have been other factors involved for her.

Friday I went to the Old State Capitol from 12:30-4 for History Comes Alive.  Afterward I came home and quickly walked the dogs and went to meet at Abe's Old Hat for dinner with four other veteran women before going to Theater in the Park at New Salem.  The musical was called "Distant Thunder" about the people that lived in New Salem.


Saturday Alan came over and I ended up dog sitting with three dogs. 
I'm beginning to think that Amber resembles a border terrier.  We need to learn our breed for the class.  I've been frustrated with her potty training.  She seems to potty outside then poo inside. Monday was our first obedience class and she amazed me.  Only 4 of 6 showed up.  Amber was a wiggle worm and I had to keep her away from the other dogs.  However, when it came to sit, down, stand and come, she amazed me.  I went from a bad day to a surprise ending.

He went to shoot targets with his brother and said he may be back around 2 or 3PM.  I made lunch for them thinking they'd be back.  I even left to go to the fiber guild demonstration on cording with a  lucet.  That was on their facebook for 12:30 but I didn't realize that a meeting preceded the lesson.  When the lesson started, Carol went around the room showing 14 ladies how to start the lucet.  She went around twice and both times she did it for me and then I waited for the next step left holding the string in frustration.  After she went half way around and I held this tool with no action plan, I got up and left thinking about the roast I had on low temperature in the oven.  Carol's instructions were copyrighted so I left the sheet there when I left.
Some day I will get this with a little more patience.  Once we had a Civil War Saturday and had kids do spool knitting and I was helping the kids but it was more like the blind leading the blind.  Most women reenactors have something they can demonstrate like knitting and I have NO SKILLS.  I felt useless.

Sunday morning's Gospel was Mark 6:7 about sending the 12 to preach the gospel.  Our sermon was about "The Trouble Tree".  I realize I'm a bit hearing impaired hence I have to look up the story to see if I missed anything. I'd only like to think of my own tree after a storm that drops dead branches. Next time I pick them up, I will be clearing out my troubles.
http://www.inspirationpeak.com/cgi-bin/stories.cgi?record=113

I had lunch with the Mary Lincoln Coterie.  It's a group of (mostly) women who want to keep alive the memory of Mary on her death day.

https://marylincolnscoterie.com/
Here's a news clip:
https://newschannel20.com/news/local/mary-lincolns-life-honored-in-annual-memorial
You may notice me in the front row for the program as I don't hear very well.  The event concluded with a wreath ceremony at the Lincoln Tomb.

I stopped to put a rose on my husband's grave on the way to the luncheon.  There was an hour between anyway.

Seems that Mary Lincoln has the same death day as my husband.
https://ivetret.blogspot.com/2015/05/biography-and-life-of-frank-connolly.html
Tad Lincoln was also close dying on July 15, 1871.

It seems it's so humid that my hair never seemed dry all day.

Well I don't watch much TV but this show, The Proposal, seems so dumb.  How can anyone propose over a short TV show when actual dating takes much more time?   Seems so unreal.



No comments:

Blog Archive