Monday, June 5, 2017

My Week

The warmer weather has arrived.  Air conditioner is on and off as the weather permits.  I do have a whole house ceiling fan system that stretches out the climate control.  This next week will be a real scorcher.

Tuesday I was "stood up" by a landscaping company.  It's the second so far that has stood me up.  So I posted a landscaping need on facebook in Chatham Central.  Plants are getting out of control and will not make it till I'm able to do better next year. I need to contain the mint and sage.  I have tulips and hen and chicks to plant.  I also have more asparagus roots to plant.  I needs a simple landscape for someone who can't bend.

Tuesday evening I went to the Lincoln Tomb for the first of the summer Flag lowering ceremonies.  I didn't dress for it but pretty much came as I am in stretch pants. 

Thursday I took my mower in for maintenance since I found kind neighbors to lift it into my Murano.  Sean said he didn't have a problem with the mower running. However, it's overdue for an oil change and sharpening. Maintenance is important. Believe it or not, I like cutting the grass but it's a chore I must give up this year.

In the evening I went to the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum to see a presentation by Sidney Blumenthal called 'Wrestling with His Angel: The Political Life of Abraham Lincoln Vol. II, 1849-1956'.  It was very interesting and a lot of details.  Half the problem of the Civil War was the struggles before the war and how Lincoln pondered the problems before making decisions.  Very wise man.

Friday I went to give tours at the Lincoln Tomb from 10AM to 2PM.  There were quite a few buses and the interpretation of the tomb came right back to me after being away for awhile.

I got my historical dress laid out for the weekend Civil War in Pittsfield, IL.  My cleaning gal came over and now I feel comfy.  I can remove my sheets but can't bend over to make my bed and Mary Ann did made my bed  She recently had her picture on a local bill board on Route 4.


I did get a little sewing done while listening to other programs.  I still cant bend.  There was a ladies fashion show and I was last because I was seated.  My dress crochet and hair net was the last to observe.
I went back to Pittsfield on Sunday after church.  It was Pentecost and about half of the congregation wore red.  I like to think that it was my idea to wear red years ago because I wore red then and told Fr John I liked that I said I got with the program and match the vestments of Pentacost.  I fixed a pasta dish with gluten free macaroni.  Not bad.
Afterward I went back for day 2 of Lincoln Days in Pittsfield.  There were over 40 LEAD (The Spirit of Lincoln Youth Academy) students in the group getting a crash course in Lincoln from various counties.


I know the students were rushed though on a hot day at Pittsfield Lake.  There was a light cloud cover but that only held in the heat from the day before and the humidity was high.  I heard from Heather Wicken that one had to be aided because of heat stroke.
While I was speaking, Sara Watson held up a sign and I couldn't read it with just my period reading glasses.  She told me 5 minutes. I probably could have read 5 fingers better than her piece of paper.  I think it was only a 15-20 minute presentation.  Many visitors seem to come for the battle and leave. 
The buffalo knats were horrible and I got bit on my neck.  Later I tossed away a tick.

Well I have a little sewing repair on my hoop casing that ripped.  

No comments:

Blog Archive