Sunday, April 23, 2017

My Week

Saga of the Spondylolisthesis
New Big Word
Not to be confused with spondylosis, spondylitis, or spondylolysis.
Spondylolisthesis is the forward displacement of a vertebra, especially the fifth lumbar vertebra, most commonly occurring after a fracture. Backward displacement is referred to as retrolisthesis.

The variant "olisthesis," resulting from division of this compound word, is sometimes applied in conjunction with scoliosis. These "slips" occur most commonly in the lumbar spine. Spondylolysis (a defect or fracture of the pars interarticularis of the vertebral arch) is the most common cause of spondylolisthesis, which should not be confused with a spinal disc herniation (often misleadingly referred to as a "slipped disc"), in which one of the spinal discs in between the vertebrae has ruptured.
A hangman's fracture is a specific type of spondylolisthesis where the second cervical vertebra (C2) is displaced anteriorly relative to the C3 vertebra due to fractures of the C2 vertebra's pedicles.

Last week, the hulls from the leaves were falling.  This week it is the helicopter seeds from my maple tree and others. Monday evening I had pain early and tried to sleep it off at 6:30PM. I think I finally last looked at the clock around 8:30PM.

Tuesday morning I got a call from Michael that Dave Leach died of a heart attack just after midnight. He took over my tasks when I retired. Here is a link to his Obituary.
http://www.staabfuneralhomes.com/obituary/david-verner-leach/

On April 12th, the Vet Center had a ribbon cutting ceremony for their new location.  My son introduces himself at 40:28 into this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H4nHD7bOcs&feature=youtu.be
 If you look quick you can see me at 40:48 about to sit down and again at ribbon cutting at 53:00.  So proud that my son loves his job and they love him.  He could strive for a better paying job though.

I was perusing tripadvisor for the Lincoln Tomb since I am on the board of the Lincoln Monument Association. I missed a Thursday evening meeting. I found my picture among those photos from June 2016 sharing Distant Memories as part of History Comes Alive early in the tour season.  The Lincoln Academy students were observing since they were summer help at the beginning of the season.
  Wednesday I did a little shopping at thrift stores since it's also senior day.  Always looking for comfortable long yet petite dresses to wear during my recovery for comfort and modesty.  I found one but I was also looking for summer weight quilt in queen size and found this for only 99 cents.  I cleaned it since it had a few spots.  I needed something that wouldn't be too girly for my son to feel comfortable in the spare bedroom.  You may recall from last week that my pink flowery full size quilt would fit this bed but not my queen size bed. All winter there was a heavy quilt on this bed. 
Thursday I slept good.  Up at 5:30.  Within 20 minutes, the pain came.  I broke a glass in my sink.  Agony and tears at times.  One more week until surgery but that means going off all pain medication. I re-read my doctor's instructions and I can take Tylenol.  I happen to have the Walgreens brand of  Tylenol (acetaminophen), ice, heat or Lidocaine patch.   I called a neighbor for help with tears and a cracked voice over the phone.  Donna came with her boxer, Jackson, and got me my cereal and heat pad and walked Sophie.  I felt well enough to shower by 8:30.  I haven not been locking my door should I need help.  Yes I need help but I don't know what to ask for that will help.  My friends and family can't really help me.  I cry and rock back and forth.

I know I have lots of people praying for me.  I sure hope that all the prayers I've done for others in the past will be merciful to me in return.  My prayers are very simple.  When an ambulance or helicopter goes by, I simply say "God Bless the soul in distress".
At 2pm, I went to church for an anointing of the sick. I had arranged it that mourning while still in agony.  It was hard to talk to Father on the phone because my voice was cracking through the tears at this early hour.   He expected me in the same condition at 2PMbut it wears off to a tolerable level mid-day.  Father John, Sister Judy and all the office staff were present for my blessing.  I was full of emotion.  Afterward I was presented with a blessed prayer shawl made by a parishioner who prayed while making it.  I knew about the prayer shawl ministry but never thought I'd be a recipient of one.  If ever, this was the time.  I graciously accept this gift of prayer. 
I really won't need it for warmth as the weather is getting warmer.  It will soften the wood of my rocker.  This is the same rocker that Mae Connolly used.  Sometimes it's easier than a recliner.  After my blessing, I took advantage of being out and about and got some more back pain patches at Walgreens (along with some discounted jelly beans).  Then I went to the Texas Roadhouse for a fundraiser meal in which a portion of the proceeds go to Don Taylor, our VFW post commander, who is suffering from cancer.  I ordered a lot with the intent of taking some home. I had the shrimp appetizer, with a steak and sweet potato to go. Yum!  I went to bed about 8:30.

Friday morning I wanted to stay in bed dreading the morning routine of pain from the day before but the bladder screamed otherwise.  In fact I didn't quite make it all the way without a little accident.  I did a quick shower but had difficulty getting dressed.  I couldn't pull my panties on so I put a long dress on.  I tried to take my trash out with a dog on a leash and knocked over my geranium.

I got this geranium, along with another from a fundraiser at the church of the Little Flower last year.  I had nursed that plant indoors over winter from last year.  In fact it even had a winter bloom indoors.  Donna walked Sophie and then repotted my geranium for me.  I could not be more grateful for her help.  She loves her dog and loves her yard work too.  Bless her heart.

I noticed that my pre-op instructions said that colaice would be sent to my pharmacy a week before and I had not been notified to pick anything up so I called the pharmacy rather than Dr Williams' nurse.  The pharmacy had nothing but I was told it is over the counter.  I went to County Market and asked to have it pointed out to me.   Apparently the stuff doesn't come in less than a 100 pills.  I was also told there may be a smaller size at Dollar General under the name "ducosate".   I had other things to pick up at both places anyway.  I also got gas in the car and was not prompted for a car wash which I needed from all that pollen.  Now I don't regret it because of the Saturday rain.  Mary Ann came and cleaned my house.  This time focusing on dusting my shelves.  I almost hated to ask her to do this because of all the stuff needed to move.  Then the weekly bathroom and floors and it smelled so nice.

Later Friday night was a bit sleepless with pain till about 3:30AM.  It did cool down and I'd already changed to a lighter comforter on my bed.  Shivering only seemed to tighten my muscles around the nerve.  I will have to get out the electric blanket just a little longer and have a nice, make up nap.  I did walk Sophie.

Not too much got done on Saturday.  I did cook a Mexican dish for Sunday with my son.  I sewed a pocket in a skirt.  It was warmer in my sun room than the rest of the house.

Sunday I walked Sophie at 9:30 along with Donna and Jackson.  Then I went to Mass.  I washed the car of pollen.  My son cut the grass.  We watched Transformers on TV.

I get to a point every day where either I drop something or Sophie wants to play and I must get down on my knees.  I look around carefully with my hands to see if there's anything else while I'm down there.  Funny but not.

I thought that I could use this time to get caught up on reading, sewing and movies but it's not going as planned.   It's more like pacing around and waiting.  Oh the TV is on but not necessarily for watching.  I focus on self maintenance.   Sophie stays near where ever I am in the house.  She may know something but she still thinks I can bend over and pick up a toy and throw it for her to fetch.

I found an internet mentor, Sharon, who also had this or similar surgery:



Her story is so close to mine.  Here is her Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGpBAL9qKN7/

I ordered a TENS unit like she recommended.

No comments:

Blog Archive