Monday, October 10, 2016

My Week


Wednesday morning I stood in a flag line at Camp Butler for the unaccompanied burial.  There was a shot of me in the news. 
http://foxillinois.com/news/local/local-cemetery-helping-veterans-families-get-closure
 I had lunch with Michael and did a little shopping.  I found a spooky Halloween head that chews on a rat.

In the evening I took the little motorcycle over to the high school to scoot around traffic for the Titans Homecoming parade.  Our American Legion post led the parade with the colors.  Photos of the parade here:
http://jjackmanphotography2016.pixieset.com/homecomingparade2016/

 Thursday I went to yoga for seniors followed by senior TRX.  There's little break built in between these two classes and hard to roll up the mat, put my shoes back on, hydrate and pee between classes. There were only 3 in our our yoga class but 7 in the TRX class.  Yet I'm told by one of the 7 that our instructor said she'd cancel the TRX class if she didn't have more students!  Meanwhile, the first 10 minutes into the TRX class, she's doing a one-on-one with another lady as in "personal trainer".  Needless to say, I wad not very motivated.  Oh, and the temperature difference between the two rooms:  yoga - cold, TRX -muggy.

Afterward I started to do my chores:  Staples to print letters for the upcoming Honor Flight, flu shot at St John's Hospital as required for their volunteers, then visited Roy on the 11th Floor, status of Monday's TCI visit to the activity director on the 11th floor, paid my trash hauling bill, tried the Eco Cell phone recycle kiosk in the mall which swallowed one of my 5 old phones, dropped the other phones off with Sean so he can recycle at an in-city program, then TDI visit to Reflections.

The neighbor paid to have a tree removed that was on the boarder between our properties but that the access was on my side of the fence.

Friday evening I went to Lincoln's New Salem for the candlelight tours.  Continues on Saturday and Sunday.  Carol took this picture of me so that I could make my profile photo on facebook a promo for the following evening's event.

There was a lot of people going through the Johnston cabin .... even a loud cricket.  Despite the big parking lot, many cars had parked on the grass.  In fact when I arrived early, there was a car parked close and some were reserving a spot next to it with lawn chairs so a friend could park there.
Here is the tour of New Salem so you can understand where the cabins are:
http://abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/newsalem/salemtour.htm
Here's a C-SPAN video on the park:
https://www.c-span.org/video/?283793-1/lincolns-new-salem

Saturday evening I went back to New Salem and this time I was assigned to the Lukin House which was the cobbler.  My interpreter partner that was scheduled left me so I was alone but the site manager filled in on the shop side form the middle part of the program (7pm to 9pm).  I learned the difference between a cobbler that makes shoes and cobbler that's a square pie.  There was a reenactor from Indiana that said "it's nice to see someone in a corset".  I take that as a compliment.  This was a little darker building than the Johnston house the night before because the white wash seemed to make that building brighter.  I used my $30 lantern I got at the gift shop.  I'm not totally happy with the pegs.
It sure seemed easier to get fires started in the cabin's fireplace more than my own at home.  Could be the wood. Sunday I got home about 9:45. Poor Sophie was probably lonely had it not been for Sean on a laundry run and Moe she would have been super lonely. I fed her late.  Sunday I was at a different house, the Hill Residence, one of the wealthier of homes in 1830s New Salem.  Note that I didn't know in advance which house to prepare for.  I was paired up with Katy.  Here she is fixing a problem candle.  That's my mug and lantern int the foreground.


Saturday afternoon I took Sophie to the Boo Bark in the park for the Animal Protective League.  I dressed her as Little Red Riding Hood and I as grandma.
This is the costume in the add:
It came with this soft basket but I found a small real basket.

The winner was a couple that dressed their dogs as Hillary and Donald and they wore black suits like secret service.  There was also Veruka and her dog as a Wonka bar.

Sunday was very busy,  Catholic War Veterans Memorial Mass at 9:30 St Cabrini, then we had breakfast/lunch at Parkway Cafe,  then I helped  the Lincoln Monument Association table at the Oak Ridge Cemetery Walk, and back to New Salem Candlelight tours.  
Monday after exercise I went to a cooking demonstration at Powerworks where I exercise.  I really can't remember what we made but it had salad and squash.  I had lunch with my son at Panera. 




No comments:

Blog Archive