Sunday, April 24, 2016

My Week

Monday night I went to the VFW and we had elections.  Looks like I'm a trustee again.
Tuesday night I went to the Land of Lincoln Honor Flight homecoming.  Here I am with our American Legion post service officer, Les Morgan, and Dora Lee (she was a temp where I worked a long time ago).  That night I the the "welcome home" banner the straightest that I ever got it up there.  Not too picky for just a few hours of display.  I use clip rings on the banner with thick black thread looped over the letters of the "restroom".
I got caught taking the banner down on the news.  I was hoping everyone thought it magically appeared and disappeared.
http://newschannel20.com/news/local/first-2016-honor-flight-returns-to-springfield

Wednesday I picked up an envelope of memorial donations from Marc's widow that were donated to the Lincoln Monument Association and delivered it to our treasurer.  I stopped by and made a short visit at the hospital with our VFW Post commander who was doing well after surgery on his brain.  It's been rumored to be a frying pan skillet by the shape of the scar.  He seems to be in great spirits and said he's had many visitors from the veteran community.  In the evening I went to the Veterans Assistance Commission quarterly meeting.

Thursday after my yoga class, I met with our Catholic War Veterans post commander with Fr Chiola.

Friday I rode Wheezer to the Lincoln Tomb to help with tours.  I couldn't start Buck.  He ran about 3 weeks ago despite a good start 3 weeks ago.  I may have goofed and left it on despite no headlights to warn me.  I don't know.  There were many buses and many tours.

Saturday morning I went to the Old State Capitol for our Soldiers Aid Society workshop and lunch.  I finished my bonnet and partially worked on a collar for my work dress.   Here's the before picture from March 2015:
 Inside.
back bavolet (skirt):
You may notice that this picture was taken on my front porch outside my window.  Well Sophie barked at it.  I still want to add a buckram support behind the flower spray.

I walked Sophie a nice long walk then cut the grass in the back yard which was cut 5 days ago.  I didn't cut the front yard because I didn't want to spread grass all over the neighbor's yard sale.  Finished the front lawn on Sunday.  I rode Wheezer to church. The Gospel was short..."Love one another as I have loved you".  Fr John likened it to the short and to the point message of the Gettysburg Address.

The faucet came off the kitchen sink and sprayed water everywhere on Sunday while preparing a meal for my son and myself. I had to crawl underneath the sink and put the hose up and twist the nozzle back on. Whew, I thought this incident was going to determine my next remodeling task.  I fixed a pork roast, mashed potatoes and tortellini for my son and myself.

I hadn't realized that after all these years living here that the flowering dwarf tree in my yard is a dogwood.  I guess I thought it was too small.  I love the flowers.

This week I watched a show on National Geographic.  No I don't get that channel with basic cable but the show is online. 
In the event series premiere, host Morgan Freeman explores how different religions of past and present answer the question: What happens when we die?
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/the-story-of-god-with-morgan-freeman/videos/beyond-death1/


No comments:

Blog Archive