Monday, September 28, 2015

My Week

Early Wednesday Morning, little Miss Sophie started barking about 3:30AM.  Apparently an empty bin that was stacked on my back porch had fallen and she was barking at it.  Then she went in the dark yard and barked at the shadows...at least that's what it seamed like to me.  This happens often when I walk in the dark.  She barked at a child's toy car left on a lawn.  Well now that Sophie is a therapy dog and I a Civil War reenactor, I've decided to combine our interest.  I've ordered her a Civil War nurse outfit that will look something like this:
It is coming from "Dogs of Gettysburg".

After exercise on Wednesday, our Silver Sneakers group went for coffee.  They used to do this monthly to celebrate birthdays but didn't get around to doing so in August.
 Friday, I just got back from the Villas of Hollybrook and sat there with Sophie over an hour while the activity director painted nails.  Well I got my sheet signed for the visit.
When I have 50 visits, Sophie and I graduate from TDI associate to TDI active.
I have a regular visit with the seniors at Reflections on Tuesday and Thursday at 2. 
I think I'll pick up by visiting an old WW2 Vet at Regency instead.  It is a little farther but I know him as a member of our Catholic War Veterans.

Saturday evening I went to Auburn for the "Light up the Cemetery Walk" fundraiser to help maintain the old Wimmer cemetery.  Everyone liked my presentation and I was the only one that did not read the script given.  I had to do research on my character to make sure the pieces fit into place.  They didn't when I made a timeline so I adjusted the script accordingly.



I'm glad I brought my bistro set.  I offered the spare chair to a guest with a cane.


 Here's the video.  I am embarrassed about saying 1818 instead of 1918 but I didn't do that in all performances that evening.  Too much Civil War reenacting puts me in the wrong century.  However, the other performances would skip something else anyway.  That's the risk of being extemporaneous.
Or: https://youtu.be/vSpSvlVXeeI
The above were taken by a photographer but this one was taken by me on my self timer sitting on a headstone:


Here's a link to my script:
http://ivetret.blogspot.com/2015/08/wimmer-cemetery-walk-on-september-26.html

Here is a link to Mr Jenkins portrayal by Tom Little.  Eliza Jane Turner was portrayed by Helen Lawyer.  Penrod Vancil was portrayed by Clay.  Jacob Henry Shutt was portrayed by Mark Johnson.  I give credit to the performers because I'll forget all their names for what I consider a one-time gig (fingers crossed).  I didn't know anybody in the Wimmer Cemetery Association except the president, Jan Gray, who was formerly on the board of the Land of Lincoln Honor Flight.  I did not know any of their relatives or have any connections but I support their efforts to upkeep the cemetery.  How often I have heard/read that there is an old neglected cemetery and somebody should do something about it.  I can't do it all so I hope the donations will help maintain the mowers that cut the grass and the repair of the stones.  There was a lot of competition for visitors that night to our event like the Route 66 Mother Road Festival and high school sports.

After a week of the Pope's visit and reading positive and negative comments on Facebook, Sunday's readings should be directed to all all the naysayers that feel their preaching is right and Catholics are flawed.

"Eldad and Medad are prophesying in the camp, "
Joshua, son of Nun, who from his youth had been Moses’ aide, said,
"Moses, my lord, stop them."
But Moses answered him,
"Are you jealous for my sake?
Would that all the people of the LORD were prophets!
Would that the LORD might bestow his spirit on them all!"  Nm 11:25-29

and

At that time, John said to Jesus,
"Teacher, we saw someone driving out demons in your name,
and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow us."
Jesus replied, "Do not prevent him.
There is no one who performs a mighty deed in my name
who can at the same time speak ill of me. Mk 9:38-43, 45, 47-48
audio scripture here:
http://ccc.usccb.org/cccradio/NABPodcasts/15_09_27.mp3

The moral is: don't knock someone doing the right thing.  I heard others complain about the church and "sharing the wealth".   How do share something that is priceless like the art in the Vatican museum?  Do you sell it to help the poor which will solve the poor's problems for a limited time?  Do you destroy art like the Taliban has done thereby destroying history?  These people do not understand that time accumulates the appearance of wealth.  This pope has been living a humble life and it's not enough for people to stop complaining.  We are a sad people when knock the humble strides forward.  Jesus said "The poor will be with you always" Matthew 26:11
\RaNt

Sunday evening I walked Sophie during the lunar eclipse.  Once the moon was fully darkened by the earth's shadow, clouds came in.  I watched the news and the clouds got worse.  There was a brief opening in the clouds going by to see the crescent  on the opposite side as the eclipse was reversing.

Our Monday morning exercise group is growing. There were not enough TRX cables for all so I started cycling on the Cybex till someone left early and gave me theirs.  Soon, some will become snow birds and space will free up.

I caught another squirrel. The neighbors that loaned their torches for the evening cemetery walk have a bucket of corn for squirrels in their garage.  We are working against each other.  Well, I'm deporting HIM to the other side of the interstate.  He'll get run over if this one tries to come back.  Oh there's plenty more here.  I see squirrels dancing and courting in the street.

Now to look forward to my hearing test,  the Murder Mystery dinner and plan out all the places that are showing Rocky Horror in October.





No comments:

Blog Archive