Monday, September 14, 2015

My Week

Last week I lost my hearing the day after Sunday's sermon about healing the deaf.  Isaiah 35: 4-7 and Mark 7:31-37.   What does this mean to me?  Well I've watched less TV and no radio.  I'm missing a lot on the news.  I have an appointment 10:30 on 22d with the free hearing ck on Monroe that wants to sell hearing aids. I have an audiologist appointment on Oct 9th at Memorial (out of pocket). Monday I made a claim with the VA for hearing loss and tinnitus.

Thursday I took Sophie on her first therapy dog visit to Reflections Memory Care here in Chatham and Sophie and I were well received.   The place is newly opened less than a year ago and has 25 residents (35 slots available I believe she said).  Kristin is the activities director and her assistant told me they had just discussed a desire for a therapy dog recently.  Whoo Hoo and so close to home.  Sophie and I met with six residents outside.  She was well received and Sophie was only disinterested in one lady (or exhausted from all the petting).  But I also saw a miracle on the other spectrum.  A WW2 Vet was there with his daughter who said he wouldn't be interested while at the same time the man's hand reached for Sophie.  I put a lap pad down and he gently petted her to the surprise of the man's daughter.

I watched the video that came with the kit before going and did my best.  I added Reflections Assisted Living center to the TDI website.   Kristin signed a visit record.  I'd like to do this on Tues and Thur. The other facility nearby was inquired and their activity director stepped out for an appointment but we exchanged phone numbers with the clerk who seemed really really interested to see Sophie return.

I found a dead squirrel in my live trap Thursday morning. I hadn't checked it the day before. I used a stray corn cob that had been planted in my yard by the squirrels from last year. I reset it before going to the nursing home and Pets Mart. When I got back there was a live one in the trap and I didn't know what to do.  Ah ha!  Dump it somewhere else.  So on the way to my meetings, I let HIM (I know it was a he squirrel)  out at the Road Ranger field across from Golden Corral.  Friday I caught another little girl.  I was about to do the same but as I picked up the trap, the back opened because the pin wasn't secure.  Now that squirrel has a PHD about trapology.  Then I caught another girl but this time I let her loose. I took 'her' out to the cell tower on New City Rd. Both would have to cross interstates in order to come back here. I ain't done.  There's a squirrel unaccounted for I see burying nuts for winter.

Thursday afternoon I pulled pork for our Hog Roast benefit for Honor Flight.  I had 3 meetings that evening:  Lincoln Monument Association at 5, Practice meeting for the Murder Mystery Dinner at Edwards Place, and Catholic War Veterans.

I still smelled pork on my fingers during the last meeting even with wearing gloves.
Friday I was getting ready for exercise class and pulled out a brand new pair of patriotic socks that I had never worn because they wouldn't show under boots. Then I said to myself, "it's Patriot Day". I have patriotic shorts and tee. What a way to start Patriot Day. 
Afterward I went to see Kathy to help transfer a patch to a jacket for Catholic War Veterans.  She can't do it with Parkinson's.  Later I decorated the hall for the hog roast with all the patriotic decorations that I had in my stash.  I also added my tee shirt and cap from being a guardian as part of the decor/atmosphere.

Saturday I went to the Pets in the White House.  We got a little bag of goodies and I saw another brown Pekingese.  I dressed Sophie in patriotic shirt and I in mine. 
 There's a photo gallery of the event here:  http://www.sj-r.com/photogallery/LS/20150912/NEWS/912009998/PH/1


I really enjoyed seeing all the like-minded dogs and owners. To think that they loved their dog as much as I love my Sophie then there was a lot of love in Union Square.

Sunday I went to Mass with the Catholic War Veterans and afterward we had breakfast.  Our CWV commander mentioned that Staab Funeral Home may need me part time with funerals.  We'll see if I get a job.

This week is assisted living week.  I'll be taking Sophie to the Villas of Hollybrook on Tuesday at 11.  I'm expecting the handy man to come fix my vanity floor that was water damaged Tuesday afternoon. 

This coming Wednesday, I'll be portraying Belle Reynolds for South Side Christian Church.  Hope it all goes well with 2 other scripts running in my head for the Murder Mystery Dinner and the Wimmer Cemetery Walk later in the month.
http://southsidechristian.com/events/senior-citizen-luncheon 




No comments:

Blog Archive