Monday, April 7, 2014

My Week

Ah, this is the week that the grass turned green.  Means mowing soon.  I have to find time to get the riding mower up to my son for his new house.

My dog, Bentley, came to me begging. I get up and follow him where he points to the counter (where the treat jar happens to be). So, I kneel down by his untouched dog food bowl. I hand him a few nuggets of dog food (not that cheap stuff either). At first, he sniffed and ran to the counter. But eventually he ate from my hand and so did Marley. They finished the bowl out of my hand. Kids...sheez! Don't they know that there's not treats until they finish their dinner?

Wednesday morning I went to Camp Butler for the first Unaccompanied burial for veterans that had no military honors.  This was very moving.

Thursday Morning I went on a trip to Ste Geneviève, MO with Little Flower Parish. It rained hard that night and one missed the bus due to a power outage and couldn't get her car out of the garages.  It rained most of the day and I got emergency text alerts about severe weather and flash floods.  However, it cleared up when we needed it most to tour the historic settlement.

Saturday morning I went to a meet and greet for volunteers at the ILES House historic site.  I had time to kill between that and a At 2PM  presentation on Lincoln in the Black Hawk war.    I went to Lowes and picked up an attic ladder.  I also stopped by Hobby  Lobby and got a wood trunk and some lace for reenacting.

new additions to my Civil War closet:
New parasol.
 I found this fan at a thrift store and cut off the pink plastic.  I couldn't get all of it out so I used a seam ripper and then re-sewed the straw.  I believe it is fancy, period correct.  Most seem to use a style that is shaped like a spade.
 This dress is coming from England and is a bit pre-Civil War.  That will be good after this 150th anniversary of the Civil War is over.  I may want to add a Bertha collar.
Now I want to finish my trim on my summer straw bonnet (I'll put that picture in next week's blog) and put some trim on my widows weeds for the upcoming Lincoln Death Day commemoration on Apr 15th.
Saturday I was pleased to receive a thank you card from one of the veterans on the Honor Flight who thanked me for the letter in his "mail call" sack.

Sunday morning I went to our Catholic War Veterans Mass.  I met two of the ladies that were on my trip to  Ste Geneviève.

Sunday evening I got a call from Clara Wright whom I know through the Old State Capitol.  She asked me to be guest speaker for a balloon launch the day before Memorial Day.  Last year was the first event and they sent up 200 balloons with names of loved ones for $1 donation.  I had referred Clara to the American Legion last year for help with her idea last year.



No comments:

Blog Archive