Wednesday, October 30, 2013

My Week


Well the harvest has begun and the lady bugs are lost without their stalks of corn.  So they try to come inside.

Marley has been tearing up paper lately.  Yes she has pet toys but likes to tear paper.  What a mess.  Why clean it up if she's not done.  Maybe I've been neglecting her and leaving her alone too much.

Tuesday evening I went to a picnic at the regiment house for the 114th Illinois Infantry.  It was raining so there was a lot of people crammed into that little house. 
Afterward I went to the Abraham Lincoln Capitol Airport to welcome home our veterans on the Land of Lincoln Honor Flight.  One of the veterans was our own Korean War Veteran, Bob Wolf, from our Catholic War Veterans post;
Other photos can be found here.   In fact that's me with a coworker in the bright orange waiting for his family member (a cousin I believe)

Well I came home from work on Friday with a present in the living room.  It appears that Marley was showing off.
Saturday was my son's birthday so I made him a cake.  We ate at Texas Roadhouse because he always teased his brother about going there because it was his favorite.  He never goes there on his birthday because of the infamous birthday saddle humiliation for a free piece of cake.  Well neither of us mentioned to the waiter that there was a birthday at our table but we did look at each other when the clapping and saddle dragging passed our table for another birthday person.  Whew!
 
Alan Was happy with the present we gave him.

Sunday morning's Mass reading was about sinfullness 
Fr Dennis mentioned that the pope said something extraordinary:  That he admitted to being a "sinner".  Fr Dennis said that pope has been wanting clergy to get more humble vehicles and he recalled a time when he was contemplating getting vanity plates for his car.  He said that a clever parishioner had spelled his name backwards and then thought of what "Dennis" was backwards. 

Well we also had a shortage of alter servers the last two weeks.  Last week we had a man stand in.  This week, two men noticed that there were no servers when the priest processed in so they moved to to fulfill the duties.  At the end of Mass, father said he wanted to thank the two who were on a work release.

I went to Sr Judy's Jubilee which had a few snacks and didn't stay too long.  I didn't stay too long.  
Later I went over to the VFW to see the kids in their Halloween costumes.  I brought my Rosemary Zombie Girl.  Zombie girl may have scared some of the littler ones but for others, there was a learning that she wasn't real under that dress.

I went to a VFW meeting on Monday night.   On Tuesday night I went to a meeting of the Soldiers Aid Society.

Well I've been preparing for an interview on PBS's "Illinois Stories" to be aired for Veterans Day about the New Berlin Veterans Memorial.  So I readied my uniform and went through my old awards.  There was a retired Army sergeant there and I asked if he got a retiree pin for his uniform and he said yes and then pointed to a retired badge.  All the Air Force gets is a lapel pin the size of a dime.  I'm jealous!!!


I scanned some old photos.
Still Proud of my honor student

No comments:

Blog Archive