Tuesday, October 9, 2012

My Week

Thanks to all the warriors that allow me to sleep under a blanket of freedom! A shout out to them as they watch the sun rise in Afghanistan-- may God be with you and keep you safe!

I've been watching Sons of Anarchy on Tuesday nights.  Quote from the episode:  Wendy:  "A coin in the Karma bank"

I posted on facebook that Tuesday I shipped 3 boxes to Afghanistan after work.  Many 'likes' and comments until ... Doug's comment.   "Doug" said in response to my fb post: "i am sure they will be happy, I am very happy for everything you have sent me over the last 2 deployment's. thank you very much Rose.... " (copied)
Happy tears now. I cannot even talk to express how I feel to my son beside me in this room.  The soldier whom I supported thru 2 deployments had responded to my facebook post regarding the announcement with pride that I had sent out 3 boxes today. I know many I have sent were to "silent soldiers" but that I know that all I have sent are appreciated. I often had to use my own imagination at the joy to receive something from an American supporter. I know that my 22 yrs in the Air Force during the cold war and short tour in Saudi Arabia (which minimally qualifies for VFW) cannot hold a candle to what our troops have been through now.

My son says he never got the package that I sent when he was in Iraq but then Marines have shorter tours and I didn't have the communication support of "Soldiers Angels" back when he was in Iraq about how to support. I'm sure my box to him was shared randomly as he said they received randomly.  Makes everything in my little life seem so small.  God Bless our Troops and all that they endure for us.

Wednesday I met with Grace Miller of our Womens Overseas Service League at Camp Lincoln's Military Museum to meet with Illinois Director of Veterans Affairs,
10/3/12. Womens Overseas Service League met with Erica Borgren, Illinois Director of Veterans Affairs with chapter president, Grace Miller and Rose Connolly.
.


I went to a meeting at 7PM Wednesday with the American Legion Riders.  Afterward I dropped off some thank you letters for the Honor Flight's mail call.  The presidential debate was on the radio and when I got home, my sons and the neighbor were watching and having a beer.

Last Sunday I was going to cut the grass but my son said he would do it the following day when cars are out of the drive so he could turn around on the riding mower better.  I also think he wanted me to do more with the task that I had started in the spare room clean up.  Well by Thursday night it had not yet been cut so I did it before the predicted rain.

Friday the gas price went up so I filled up.  It wasn't until 3PM when Steve gets off of work that I realized I'm off Monday for Columbus Day.  In the evening I made an eggplant bake.  Alan liked it so that was good.  

Saturday I got up and dressed in my period costume to help out at the Old State Capitol from about 10:30 to 3PM.  I gave 2 full tours and a partial tour.  There was a group that was in Springfield that had been on my tour from a just finished Masonic convention.  While waiting for the group to gather up, I started small talk and learned one had just been to France the week before.  I told him I was going in about a week.  When I got towards the end of my tour, I mentioned that Representatives Hall was used for other gatherings in the off season for things like horticulture groups, dances, and Masonic lodge meetings.  One man with the group said he toured the Old State Capitol before and no one had ever mentioned that on the tour.  I said that I had given tours as a volunteer for 12 years and heard it many times and offered him to check it out.

After the tours, I went to the American Legion and changed my costume there from Civil War to my German dress for our American Legion Riders German Dinner.  Food was great and everybody seemed to like it.  Yes I had an offer to join some of my friends from the Old State Capitol to go to New Salem for the candle light tour but temperatures dipped and my feet are killing me.

Sunday --  I went to church and I was a Eucharistic Minister.  There was a warning in my car for "Icy" conditions.   I'm still trying to straighten out my storage room.  Taking it in little baby steps.  One thing leads to another.  As I move stuff, I find stuff. Then I mop the floor where moved.
I was able to get the floor model of Rosemary the Zombie Girl for half off.   They even let me have the sale card with the name and original price of $159.  She has been on display for over a month and no longer lunges forward. The manager threw in the foot pad activator which is normally extra. Otherwise, she is sound activated (or tapped on) as well. Sure would be nice if I or someone could fix her lunge mechanism.  There is a good review of the mechanics here: Rosemary Zombie Girl Prop Review    I think I'll dress like her for Halloween.  She's 4' tall and I'm 5' tall.  We could be sisters. 
I also got a new shelf for organizing the storage room.  Changed the burnt out light bulb and got goodies for soldier boxes at Big Lots 20% off Sunday on anything.  The neighbor brought over a zucchini bread since they had to use it and had plenty.  I love it.  Plenty from a family of 3 daughters and 2 part time step daughters means there must have been a lot.
Columbus Day I woke to a cold house and our first frost.  Ug...I turned the heat on to take the chill out.  Bentley had bad bad gas.   As in light a candelabra.   I shouldn't have poured the gravy from dinner nuggets.

Thoughts for the day:
"All types of knowledge, ultimately leads to self-knowledge." --Bruce Lee

"I will not be commanded and I will not let the future go on without the help of my soul"

No comments:

Blog Archive