Thursday, May 21, 2020

My Week


Sunday, I watched Mass live online but this was the first time we were allowed to return to church for Communion between 11AM and 12 in small groups.  Funny how one can take such a regular grace for granted.   The first Sunday I drove there because of the rain but the second time I walked there with the dogs and tied them under a tree.  It was hot so the girls wanted a break under every shade tree on the way home.

I got a Regency era dance dress on eBay and it looked like this. Of course it needs hemmed for my shortness so I chose growth pleats.  There is a decreasing demand for sewing masks and dwindling supply of free/low cost materials.

I'm trying to put horizontal "growth pleats" in a dress hem. Not that I'll grow but I'm short and this dress may someday be turned over to a taller person. I figure I may need 6 pleats. I used to call these things UFOs (unfinished objects) . I like referring these as PHDs (projects half done). Since I haven't had this sewing machine very long, I want to figure out what the other attachments are used for.  I find that 3 pleats did the job but I was expecting more.
If you look close, you'll notice a difference in the fabric quality between what I got and the advertised photo. I had to hem it and then tried it on for the proper length and noticed the lace neck line curled.  I had to split every other eyelet and tack that down.

I have been on a Facebook page for a daily trick.  The latest was called "place" but it looks to me like rally sign number 15. Call Front - Finish Right - Sit. So easy that even a Pekingese can do it (just kidding). I have been working on beginner rally with Sophie for June trials that were canceled. I know that AKC says pekes are independent when it comes to training so she is special. I haven't been in this training thing very long but I haven't seen another peke doing rally either. I'm grateful for what ever this little sweetheart can do. Nobody can resist that wagging tail of hers.


Friday I took the flags I'd saved out to Camp Butler since the scouts were not going to place flags on the graves this year.  The gates are open but just no gatherings this year because of the pandemic.  I had about 10 flags so I made it look bigger by doing our row.  Then I stomped on that vacant space next to my husband's grave.


I went to Menards and picked up two of those plastic grass-like rugs to wipe feet. All these clippings come into the house and show on tiles. I'm also starting to see an end to sheltering so I better make a list of unfinished projects, like sewing and a book I wanted to read. I've been so lazy!

Summer heat has arrived and I got the fans down from the attic.  Sean had already turned on his air conditioning.

Sunday I got word that there will be no summer activities at the historic sites.  That really sunk in after fixing up the historic wardrobe with a new petticoat and hoop.  Then it occurred to me that there is nothing to look forward to.   No agility, no vacation, no nothing. 

Meanwhile, the legislators voted themselves a wage increase to offset an increased minimum wage that is going up to $15/hour.  How generous of them. I see all of this parallel to that of a parent withholding a kids allowance to gain control.  It's the new normal they say.  I have been thinking about moving out of Illinois a long time.  It would be a major undertaking and a lot of downsizing.  I have no destination yet.  It would be nice if I could continue my activities with therapy dogs, veterans and reenacting.  I think I would have to give up reenacting the most because of local, age and better to be with a male partner.  I would really miss my sons.

Memorial day was honored in a social distance fashion around the Chatham Memorial for 30 minutes.  I put up Veterans Flags up on Saturday and helped take them down on Monday at 5:00 P.M.



Yes, that's my mask hanging around my neck.  There was a poppy art display and a car parade.  That parade made me feel emotional because it communicated that the community cared.  The rest of the day I spent watching Fury and Grant on TV.  As administrator for for a few veteran Facebook pages, that kept me glued to the computer.  Pretty inactive Memorial Day.

Next week the gym is supposed to open up with restrictions.   I think there's a limit of 10 so I don't know how that's going to work.

No comments:

Blog Archive