Monday, March 9, 2015

My Week

Last week I saw 2 rabbits in the yard and Sophie ran one out of the fence.
Next morning I see little black dots on top of the snow.  I got an email from Powerworks that morning exercise classes were canceled due to the ice.  Schools were closed.  I thought that I should join  the evening power cycle class but I guess I wasn't the only one with the idea because there was no parking around.  Even street parking was full so I can imagine how crowed the gym would be.  Since I was on the road, I got groceries.  Since I was home, I decided to know out a project and made this Lincoln Mourning ribbon.
Tuesday evening I had a salesman stop by for a no-obligation lawn weed control check on my snow covered lawn.  He joked about the tropical weather.  I told him flat NO.

Wednesday was legislative day for ABATE.  I, along with two others, presented our package of issues that ABATE supports and opposes.  We met with Senator Sam McCann.  I had a 10 AM workshop so I was on a tight schedule.  I took a break from that to go to the Old State Capitol for "History Through A Child's Eyes" presentation for interpretation by Jennifer.  (I'm on the end next to the lady in pink)
We were given a small packet of legos and told to make a duck.  All had different ducks but they were still ducks.

I came home and relaxed a bit before the evening meeting with the American Legion Riders.  We discussed some of our upcoming rides.  One date for a ride that came up was during the Lincoln Funeral reenactment.   If that goes through, I'm out for that particular ride.

Who said retirement was relaxing.  Thursday, while at my 8AM exercise, I had a message that Senator Dick Durbin will be at VFW 755 at 1PM and I was needed in the audience.  Another addition to the day's plans.  After exercise, I went to our church for a 9:30 discussion group and told Sr Judy I needed to leave early for a funeral.  Perfect time to leave was during a break.  The funeral was for Anthony Borowicz, a homeless veteran with no known relatives.  I may add that is was about 15 degrees and windy.  Brr!

I got a call from our VFW Post Commander personally inviting me to this short notice press announcement by Senator Durbin.   So a quick change into my uniform...I'm off.  Story and news video here:
http://www.illinoishomepage.net/story/d/story/durbin-calls-to-expand-program-for-disabled-vetera/35479/5vG0DMyrA0GlVXTJi-xWDg

Friday would have been my 40th wedding anniversary.  Friday my profile was selected as Reflections of the Day for 6 March 2015!  You can see my reflections here:
Shadow Box Reflections
In the afternoon I helped with tours at the Old State Capitol.  Tours are starting to pick up.  I gave a tour to a group from Danville IL.  I asked if anyone had been to the Vermillion Civil War Days.  One lady said she was there.  I told her I was in the ladies fashion show and she then remember me.

Sunday I was late for Mass with the Catholic War Veterans.  Seem I changed the clocks on my bedroom alarm clock and on the stove but not on the watch that I was wearing.  By the time I noticed that I had 10 minutes to make it to church that will take 25 minutes, I made the quick decision that it would be better to be late than not at all.  The service was in progress and I was immediately looking for the most subtle way to get to the front with the rest but there was a lot of scaffolding for remodeling of the old historic church.  Our commander and I carried up the gifts of bread and wine and the priest whispered that I had to put and extra $5 in the donation for being late.  I was feeling guilty enough without that.  Besides, I rushed in leaving my purse in the car and just had keys.  Afterward, we had brunch at Parkway Cafe.  It was right next to Aldi so I picked up some things.  Boy the day went fast.  My son was home doing laundry and seems like our dogs are doing a little better together.  They still have their moments but there seems to be fewer.

Well the snow is melting and we should have some nice warmer temperatures this week.  Time to see if the motorcycles will start.

No comments:

Blog Archive