Monday, December 30, 2013

My Week

Christmas eve started with my sons and I going to the 10PM Mass.  We left early to hear the singing and anticipation of the crowd.  I sure do love the music.  Alan stayed the night with me. In the morning I started the roast pork and meal while watching a DVD of the 1st Hobbit because we wanted to see the sequel later in the afternoon at the theater after opening presents.  We went to see the movie at 2:20 and saw the 3D version. If you ask me what it was about, I'd say, swords, arrows, and some pretty fancy beards on dwarfs.

I must admit that Sean really knows how to do Christmas and wrap gifts.  He knows the perfect gift too.
I got
an Oreck OptiMax Air Purifier
books and DVDs
old antique jewelry box
Sony DVD/Blue Ray/wifi player
large scented candle

We all chipped in to fixing our Christmas dinner.  I fixed a pork roast and even picked up a live rosemary  plant that will probably not survive.  Sean even found some good quality cheese and even Usinger sausage.  Alan fixed suckatash like his dad used to make and the mashed potatoes with garlic powder. 

Sean used to like egg nog but doesn't anymore so I guess I'll be finishing the bottle of Evan Williams Egg Nog (and going to bed early)

I've been trying to gather a period dress for a gentleman interested in joining our Soldiers Aid Society.  I found a jacket that I think I can de-FARB.

I had a nice call from a Gold Star Mom because she visited Camp Butler on Christmas Day and knew I was behind the wreath on his grave.  She told me the family was in the dumps and the trip from Effingham made the day brighter.   In turn, she made my day brighter.  She said her grandson, Andrew, got to go on the Snowball Express.  Since she's not on the internet, I asked her to find out if he got to meet Gary Sinese there.

At church on Sunday I was a Eucharistic minister.  Not too many people at Mass and there was a lot of Consecrated Communion wine to consume. 

Sean came over for his usual laundry and helped me with the razor blade replacement which I had cut myself on the night before.  I was trying to cut some fabric off the old couch so that it would fit into my fireplace as it was getting cold.

Later in the afternoon, I went to an After Christmas Party at 3PM by our reenactor friends.  The couple wanted to show off their newly remodeled kitchen.  The house was decorated with 12 Christmas Trees and there was a slide show of the remodeling from before and after.  I knew many of the people there through our Soldiers Aid Society but a few friends of the family were there that I didn't know and one approached me saying I looked familiar.  It was Alice, widow of John Brooks my former supervisor who had died shortly after retiring from the state and was still returning on contract for the transition.  I didn't recognize her so I was so glad she had the nerve to introduce herself to me since she knew I looked familiar.  I had thought of her and had wondered how she was doing.  She was with another gentleman but I didn't ask nor did I desire to know.  I know, that's odd for me.  I was just glad to see her and satisfied my curiosity that she was still fine.

I had trouble sleeping Sunday night.  I had pain in my left hip and I don't know what caused it.

I got this on Ebay Don't think that the folding scissors is period correct.

I probably could make one myself but this is so reasonable.
Brrr!  Sure got cold quick.  It was 57 on Saturday and 3 on Monday.  I had trouble sleeping with a achy lower back pain.  Don't know how that happened.  Unless it's shivering causing pain.
I put an icy patch over my hip.






No comments:

Blog Archive