Wednesday, November 13, 2013

my week


Thursday evening I went the the VFW for the Mayor's Veterans Appreciation Reception.  It wasn't very well advertised as in the past because there used to be post cards mailed out.  Most that attended were either involved in the event such as honor guard or members of the post or notified from  from my facebook event.  Before the event, my son asked me to follow him because he had a surprise.  He got a new car.  We found his old one for sale online

http://landmarkford.net/Springfield/For-Sale/Used/Kia/Soul/2010-Red-Car/23233673/

Well Soldiers Angels whom I have been getting my addresses/assignments to send packages for our troops has decided members are no longer 'free'.  They wish to charge a dollar a month.  Now I know that it costs more than $1 to process that credit card transaction.  Hmmm!  I also thought it silly that that Soldiers Angels built a warehouse in Texas to ship boxes when the original concept was the one-on-one adoption direct.  Sure seems silly when you save $2 in box postage to an APO vs stateside and for a warehouse to resend the supplies.  They did say that the SA life members would be exempt for 3 years. Here's my card.  Right now it says "You are an Associate (unverified) Angel". I thought I was a life member.  After showing this as proof, Susie Turner fixed my status.


Saturday I walked Marley over to the clinic for a prescription for a shingles shot only to learn that the gal who does it was off on Saturday.  I got my Toro Super Mulcher to work on those leaves.  I started up the little motorcycle since the weather was nice but the days are getting shorter.  I rode to the meeting for the Land of Lincoln Honor Flight because it fit the window of opportunity for riding weather.  I held the legion flag in the honor guard and service flags were held by veterans who have been on the honor flight that were also well enough to do this.
Sunday morning I went to Mass with our Catholic War Veterans.  There were only three of us represented but I think we may have recruited another at that parish.
Afterward I had breakfast at a fund raiser for honor flight and helped bus the tables and assisted with the 50/50 raffle.
Then I took advantage of JoAnn Fabrics that offered a veterans discount on Sunday.  I got a wood box for our reenactments.  I plan to make a shipping box for onions.

Ulysses S. Grant had such a strong belief in the healing properties of onions that he refused to move his soldiers without them! This was in 1864 during The Civil War and Union soldiers were very ill with dysentery. Grant sent word to the War Department that he wasn’t budging unless he had those onions. He wholeheartedly believed that onions would help keep his people healthy and dysentery-free. The very next day, three trainloads were shipped to him. Folks may not believe that it was simple little spherical-shaped vegetables called “onions” that were the real weapons that won the war, but I can only imagine the look on Grant’s face when the victory came. He just might have felt his heart flutter and skip a beat!

Nurses fed onions to the recovering Civil War soldiers
http://www.hektoeninternational.org/Journal_NursingduringCivilWar.html

After a scurvy outbreak among Union troops during the Peninsula campaign of 1862, the public became aware of the disease and the general problem of proper nutrition in the armies.[252] Civilian groups began organizing event and food drives to support troops at the front.[253] The primary focus of these efforts was to collect potatoes and onions, both moderate suppliers of vitamin C.[254] At this point, citrus was known to be the best source of vitamin C, but oranges, lemons, and limes spoiled too quickly to be of much use if sent to distant troops.[255] one sign posted in Chicago read “Don’t send your sweetheart a love-letter. Send him an onion.”[258]
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?204398-Scurvy-%96-Historical-Background-and-Prevention



My busy Veterans Day weekend began Saturday with the Big Lots sale  with 10% off for veterans.  I got stuff for soldiers.  In the afternoon, our American Legion post was honor guard for the monthly Land of Lincoln Honor Flight.

Monday morning I got ready for the Veterans Day Parade in Springfield.  There were many organizations represented and led by a band and Patriot Guard Riders.  I rode on the back of a convertible representing the Catholic War Veterans.  There are so few of us.  Afterward there was a ceremony inside the rotunda.  Charlie Barber, our WW2 Veteran, wanted to go inside and see the governor after the parade.   I explained that there were Veterans Day parades in Chicago too so he may be busy.  After the speech in the rotunda, I hustled over to Lincoln Land Community College in which the Chatham American Legion was honor guard for a Veterans Day Ceremony there.. 

Here is the link to the media for the Lincoln Land Community College honor guard where I held the American Flag.
http://www.wics.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_14176.shtml
I had my free lunch at Texas Roadhouse and then made it in time for a 2PM ceremony at Camp Butler.  That was when the weather started to change.  I had my big umbrella.  One of the Vietnam veterans in the color guard had to pass his flag to another as he stepped to the rear of the stand.  I didn't see it but he fell from a diabetic low.  My sons came over and were cleaning their guns after a shoot.   I had dinner with my sons at Applebees.

Weird date, 11-12-13 and we set a record of snow on this date.  Sure it's only .7 inches but still early.  In the evening I went with the Soldiers Aid Society presentation to the ladies prayer group at a Lutheran church in Sherman.  I wore my bloomer dress since it was a free choice night.  The gave us their table decorations which we can use at the commanders banquet for the 114th in January.





No comments:

Blog Archive