Monday, November 7, 2011

My Week


I took a ½ day off on Tuesday and all day Wednesday to ride to Pekin, IL for a PGR mission for KIA LCpl Jordan Bastean. Weather this time of year gets real iffy for riding but the plan worked well.  Mornings and evenings are too cold but mid-day is fine.  The way things worked out, I went the 70 miles in the afternoon for the visitation, stayed the night with the Kerby’s, and rode back Wednesday afternoon after the funeral.  He was only the second burial at the new Prairie Haven Cemetery in Pekin.    The city could not have done a better job at honouring this 19 year old that died for our country.  The people on the streets stood there as we went by and their emotion was contagious.  A floral shop had employees at the side of the road with blue and white shoe boxes which I presumed they held flowers to be thrown on the hearse.  I later learned they were white doves.
There was a little girl in our flag line with full leathers and red sunglasses.  I told her I had red sunglasses and then put them on to show her we looked alike.  She was a real show stopper. The procession of motorcycles was real slow and difficulty standing up without an occasional foot down.  I saw the lady ahead of me periodically shaking her sore clutch hand.  It was hard but it didn’t kill me.  It was a bit windy on the ride home but doable.
 
On my way home, I had a cell phone message from IL DVA about a ceremony in Chicago at the Pritzker Military Library on Dec 16, 2011 for all the Veterans of the Month for 2011. 
 
Wednesday evening we had a meeting of the American Legion Riders. We discussed our POW Missing man table, Wreaths Across America, and food drive during the Christmas parade. 
 
Saturday I didn’t feel well.  I had belly cramps so I was in pain.  I didn’t get too much done but I managed to take down the Halloween decorations.  Sunday I got the leaves raked and bagged for pick up this week’s pick up.
I picked up a bunch of 1/2 off Halloween candy for the soldiers' boxes at Walgreens. I left one bag in the stores' own drop off for the local guard too.
 
Alan yelled "BOO" and made me scream --- again.  I got to be careful to make that SMACK playful. After all he does have PTSD and you should see me snatch the remote from his sleeping hand.
 
My sister in Wisconsin reported seeing a bald eagle on a tree outside her window.  That’s cool.
 
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/389202_241876919202062_221106037945817_708291_981686551_n.jpg Sunday I treated my sons to Annual Mostaccioli Dinner at church.
 
Monday I went to an American Legion meeting.  I brought up the fact that military retirees will get the Jan COLA on Dec 31st thereby making 13 pay periods for tax purposes.
 
Now I’m putting together plans for Veterans Day.  There’s an annual ceremony by the mayor honoring veterans on Thursday followed by the Catholic War Veterans meeting.  Friday there’s a ceremony in the Chatham Square at 11.  Then there is a free meal at Applebees for veterans.
 

No comments:

Blog Archive