Tuesday, November 4, 2014

My Week

This week the frost has hit.  That means a lot of work and taking down the garden.

Tuesday I went to a potluck at the 114th Regiment house and after that I went to a homecoming for the final Honor Flight of the year.

I must be getting old.   I went to the OSC on Wednesday but I was scheduled for Thursday.  Since I was there, I gave a tour anyway and got a $5 tip. I was surprised.  They must have liked the tour I gave.  Pat told me that it was OK to accept gifts up to $100.  I went on to have lunch with Michael and then on to my thrift store shopping.  I got a goose down quilt similar to what we used in the hotel in Germany last year.   It may be warm but it takes up a lot of space.  You just can't fold the darn thing.

Wednesday night I went to the Interveterans Council Meeting. I updated the website.  
https://sites.google.com/site/sangamoncountyinterveterans/

Thursday I gave tours at the Old State Capitol.  Afterward I went to a retirement party for Bob at my old work place.  In the evening I went to the VFW and won first place in the adult Halloween Costume contest.  Here's the gang.



I think the fact that I brought my prop, Rosemary Zombie Girl, that helped me win.  She's like my little ghost sister.  "Monkey" thinks he can fix her electronic lurching that is malfunctioning.   I'll let him try after trick or treating..
My son, Alan, had his first trick or treat in his new house and is getting lots of kids. My door bell rang 4 times.  Then I didn't realize it that there was 2 official nights for trick or treat.  I had a few stop by for treats on the evening of November 1.  I wasn't expecting them and I was stuck throwing a robe on because I was dressing for Rocky Horror Show at the Hoogland.  Friday I went to the show as Columbia and on Saturday I went as Janet. 

Saturday I went All Saints Day Mass at 8:30 and then to Metamora for a group publicity photo session of our dancers at noon.  I understand that the photographer was willing to do some professional shots for a fee but I used my own camera.  Besides, I have enough pictures in my ball gown(s).  I did like the 26 star flag in the background but it was cut off.  I was happy to wear my blue gloves that I found in a thrift store but you can hardly see them.


Sunday we changed our clocks.  I didn't realize there was a song for this.  It's also on YouTube.


Sean's dog, Moe, tore up my antique fur muff used for reenacting.  I had goose down feathers all over the house so I took the muff outside.  Now I have down in my yard.   Moe thought it was another stuffed animal that I get for him to play with (roughly I might add).  I find stuffed animals for him at the Salvation Army for 25 cents.  I had another disaster that day too.  Sean stepped down on my back porch while watching Moe run in the back yard and the step collapsed.  I see home repairs in my future.  I would like to remodel my kitchen (estimated at $16K) but I may need to fix my whole back porch into a sun room as a big project. Then Monday I noticed my furnace is blowing cold air.  I noticed a red flashing light through the little window.  Instructions say it's malfunctioning.  I had a note in my instruction book that said my parts warranty expired on Oct 31st. 

Monday I went to a Patriot Guard Mission for Samuel C Plummer, 63, US Army, Pawnee, IL, 3 Nov 2014.  The staging time of 8:30 was 46 degrees and a little cold for me to ride although it warmed to 60s later.  I did take my car and put my flags in the trailer hitch.  If the temperature didn't get me the wind would have.  PGR was invited to the funeral reception at Sugar Creek church.  On the way there, the wind was so strong along the interstate that a truck drifted into my lane.

I mailed a monthly package to my adopted soldier on Monday.

I had to make a tough decision:  American Legion meeting or free dinner at the Chesapeake Seafood House as a guest of the Interveterans Burial Detail of Sangamon County.  No brainer.  But I had to pass information to the post for committees that I'm delegate. 

I caught a mouse in the trap but expect there are more based on the missing peanut butter at the end of unsnapped traps.  I guess this means I need to put out the poison pellets.  I just hate an odor of rotten mouse corpses.  You wonder where the smell is coming from and can't clean it up. Uggg!

I made a lower offer on a hair broach found on ebay that may need repair.  I offered $25. 


Time to take down the Halloween decorations.  Pull out the batteries till next year.
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Missed you at AL meeting Monday.

Blog Archive