Thursday, June 7, 2012

My Week

Friday evening, my sons and I went to a banquet in Decatur for the annual “Follow The Flag”. The featured flag of tribute will be from Fort Hood, Texas, in memory of the 13 killed and more than 30 wounded in a Nov. 5, 2009, mass shooting at the Army base. Then on Saturday, there was a motorcycle ride from Decatur to the Memorials in Springfield. I didn’t do the ride because I wimped out by a little morning rain that made a fool of me. I did meet the riders and truck that carried this flag at the memorials in my car. “This is our annual tribute to veterans and first responders,” said Steve Holden of Decatur, founder and executive director.” After an unfurling and memorial ceremony for the flag it was packed back onto the truck and a sort trip over to the Lincoln tomb for a flag exchange. The flag at Lincoln’s tomb will be sent to Killeen, TX as a flag from there was raised. I got filmed at this ceremony by the news. Ok, the chaplain’ wife pushed me and 2 other veterans toward the camera. Here is the video from the news interview:
http://www.wandtv.com/global/Category.asp?c=182814&autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=7357641

My village of Chatham has switched water systems and the newspaper reported that people have noticed a difference in the taste of the water. My coworker asked if I noticed and I told him that I did. He asked a silly question, “What’s it taste like?” You can’t put that into words. Monday I brought him a glass of Chatham water to drink. He drank it slowly trying to taste it like he was at a wine tasting. See, he couldn’t put it into words either.

My son has been congested and the OVER THE COUNTER stuff is not working. I cannot claim him as a dependent on my medical so he has to get into the VA clinic and has an appointment for Friday.

I went to a presentation at the Springfield Art association titled “Thomas Houghan's Secret Past”. He was the original owner of the historic site, Edwards Place. Apparently he fled NY in the 1830s leaving a family there and started a new family in St Louis. He made many land purchases in IL of some unknown fund source.
Found on Ebay ~ FART BE GONE! Flatulence Deodorizer Pad, GOES IN UNDERWEAR, LET EM RIP! in Home & Garden, Home Improvement, Heating, Cooling & Air
eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270939971385?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Gag gift?

Monday evening I went to the American Legion meeting. We voted to purchase $250 worth of tickets to the Wounded Warrior Amputee Softball game this Saturday. I asked for 2 of the tickets for my sons and most of the rest will go to the scouts who have helped our post.

I went to the 1st retreat ceremony for the summer tour season last Tuesday. The weather was very pleasant for being in costume. I wore my widow’s weeds since it was a cemetery. Beginning June 5 and ending August 28, a flag lowering and retreat ceremony will be performed at the Lincoln Tomb State Historic Site by members of the 114th Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry Reactivated. The 7 p.m. ceremony, which will last approximately half an hour, is free and open to the public. http://114thillinois.com/RETREAT.htm

Wednesday evening I went to a meeting for the American Legion Riders. Since I drive to work, I changed vehicles to go to the post. While there, I bought some raffle tickets for a special edition gun. At the meeting we discussed “Bike Night” at Quaker Steak and Lube at 5:30PM. So since I don’t ride my motorcycle to work, I made an exception.

I haven’t seen my cat, Dave, in a few days. It’s not unusual for him to be gone for awhile but sometimes I worry.



No comments:

Blog Archive