Monday, December 19, 2011

My Week

I had a luncheon with the Womens Overseas Service League on Tuesday. I got a nice Christmas Cactus and a blueberry loaf. My busy schedule doesn’t give me time to bake.

I left work early to go to the dentist Tuesday afternoon and still have a swollen cheek. In fact, it’s bruised. Since I didn’t have to go back to work, I did my Christmas shopping at Subway. I put gift cards in my Christmas cards. Then I went to the post office to mail a box to my soldier in Afghanistan and had the clerk supplement my old stamps for postage on my Christmas cards. I shopped at Walmart for dog food and wine and came back with a lot more than I shopped for. Alan called and wanted a chicken dinner from the VFW. It was near closing but I got it. I learned that a valued member of our post had passed away the night before and that his funeral would be on Friday. I couldn’t make the funeral since I went to Chicago. During the day, I had a plumber fix my leak so all in all an expensive day.

Wednesday evening we had our AmVets Post 61 Christmas party and we celebrated with dinner at Lonestar. We had a nice turnout but then who wouldn’t show up for a free meal. I sold some 50/50 tickets and the commander’s wife won. Then our post commander gave a few words for Christmas. My sons were also there.

Friday morning I got up early to catch the Amtrak to Chicago for the Veteran of the Month Ceremony. Jack Amberg was the December VoM and after his ceremony/speech, he changed sides of the stage to join the ‘Class of 2011’ Veterans of the month. There was a blind man getting on the train in Springfield and I permitted him to touch my back as I went to the train. As we approached the steps, I pointed him out to one of the conductors to help seat him. As the doors on the train closed, I heard a man complain that he wanted off. The conductor told him he should have never gotten on and the next stop was Lincoln. So there were a couple of stowaways on board. These stops are short and he should never have gone up the steps. I had some time to kill so I walked to the lake shore, watched the skaters in the park and had lunch. It was difficult to find the Pritzker Military Library since there was no sign on front. The auditorium was fancy but moderate in size. The Governor was to be there but he got called away. If it was a plane, well, same thing except that those tickets are checked before boarding. It was dark riding back on the train. I wasn’t sure what to wear know that I’d be among veterans wearing their service caps. I decided on wearing my red blazer with pins since it was a “Wear Red Friday”. There was another lady wearing red but she didn’t know about the meaning. She learned something that Friday that she promised to repeat. I did a lot of walking in Chicago. I also wore uncomfortable shoes. I had heel boots thinking that the governor would be there but he could not make it last minute. Some houses that had back yards facing the tracks had put up Christmas lights on their back decks for us riding the train.

The Illinois Veteran of the Month award is a distinction bestowed upon military veterans who give back to their communities. Friday's ceremony (Dec. 16th) honored all 2011 Veteran of the Month recipients.Pictured are 10 of the Veteran of the Month honorees in attendance at the year-end event including December 2011 recipient, Jack Amberg.
— at Pritzker Military Library.

Saturday morning I slept in after a long day in Chicago and dancing late the night before. I did a little laundry and then I went to the Old State Capitol for our Historical dance dress rehearsal. This was the first debut in my black and red dress and new hoop. I noticed that I had sewn (shortened) the dress between the ruffles but I had pinned a section under the ruffle and not sewn it as a test for length. I gave another dancer, Deb, my old hoop since she needed one and was getting by on a single boned hoop. I told her it was a nice flounced hoop and used but I trip on it. The new hoop I got was made for petite women. It had just arrived in the mail the day before.

After our practice, I learned that there was a special historic holiday house tour and I had time to make the last stop on the list at Edwards Place. There was Lincoln, Civil War soldiers and civilians as well as carolers. There was a reception afterward at the Pasfield house which is rarely open to the public so I went for a short while to see the inside. Summers I walk past that house and had been curious about it. It is rented for parties and B&B.

I did the readings at Mass. The second reader didn’t show up so I did both. I had to carry the book up in procession so I left my purse in the pew and asked the guy in front of me to watch it. He and his wife chuckled because he’s blind. She said she’d make sure he kept an eye on it. After weeks of being cold in the house, Sunday morning after church, I called Mike come look at my furnace. I need a part on my one year old furnace. The furnace is receiving power but not putting out 25 amps. That's why I'm cold. Sure it 55 in the house and only 34 outside but feels better in the sun.

♪♫ On the 7th Day of Christmas Soldiers' Angel gave to me...♫♪

No comments:

Blog Archive