Monday, September 26, 2011

My Week/My Trip to Ireland


I just returned from my wonderful trip to Ireland.  It’s amazing how much our Irish immigrants to America had influenced our American culture in their music, dance and values for freedom and land ownership.

Photos here:

A group of about 30 something left by bus from the church parking lot to catch our plane in St Louis.  I was surprised to still see the airport boarded up since the April tornado had struck the airport.
The other half of the group left from Chicago and was supposed to meet with us for the flight in Newark to Ireland.  They didn’t make it till the following day with many difficulties along the way.
Once we arrived in Shannon, we were met by our bus driver and guide, William.  He dropped us off at our Bed and Breakfast house.  There were 2 houses we were split among. Later he took us to Moriarty's for shopping.  Nothing there that I needed.  William warned us that we’d have to go in the bushes to use the toilet but actually the entrances were in the hedge.  They hosted us with Irish Coffee (not strong at all kind)
We saw a rainbow near the Gap of Dunloe where fairies frequent (so I’m told) by the McGillicutty Mountains.
I liked how the road signs said “Bends Ahead” and “Traffic Calming”
Saturday we had Mass at the “Prince of Peace” Fossa Church which was built in 1970.  The cross was outside of the church through a glass window with the mountains behind. The alter was inscribed with “Oh ye mountains and Lords bless the hills”.  It was the Saint Day for Saint Robert Bellarmine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bellarmine

A few of us opted to take a brief Jaunty Cart ride in Killarney National Park.
We enjoyed Irish Music at Murphy's Bar:

Ireland was formed by Eskers and drumlins left by the Ice Age.

We visited the Muckross House. http://www.muckross-house.ie/intro.htm
but were not allowed to take photos inside but there are a few pictures on the inside of the rooms used by Q Victoria on her visit.  It was really remarkable and ornate.  Often dark to preserve the contents of the house

We visited Kylemore Abby but didn’t have time to spare for the tour so it was a lunch stop. http://www.kylemoreabbey.com/ It rained there.  This is where Madonna wanted to send her daughter Lourdes to school some years back but was rejected.  No longer a school but just an Abby.  Also in the Connemara  marble factory that makes mostly jewelry now since there is not enough of the green marble left. http://www.connemaramarble.com/ and a pit stop at the Peacock Hotel where there is a replica cottage of the same in used in the movie “The Quiet Man” http://www.peacockes.ie/  I took a photo of the bridge that was featured in the movie thru the bus window.
I’m glad that I watched that on Netflix before going.
We toured Molls Gap and Black Valley.  At the gift shop I fell for a cute umbrella by Lisbeth Dahl but resisted because it was made in China.

We visited Our Lady of Knock Shrine. http://www.knock-shrine.ie/  It is traditional to say the rosary on the way and that is what we did on the bus.  There were no words spoken at the apparition but Mary’s message has always been fasting and prayers and the Irish already knew hunger so her message was prayer.  We had Mass and our St of the Day was Andrew Kim. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Kim_Taegon

We drove to see the Cliffs of Mohr but the weather got rough and the authorities were calling people back when we got there.  Wind gusts were up to 140MPH and there is no insurance payout if injured.  In fact, there’s a 10K fine to your heirs for the recovery of the body.  Turned out to be nothing but a bathroom stop.
We had dinner at Dirty Nelly’s dates back to 1620….. http://durtynellys.ie/

The last Day in Ireland was ‘Arthur Day’ celebration for the man who invented Guinness.  You know what that means – Pub parties.

I watch the Bridesmaids on the way there, and Spinal Tap and The Jones on the way back.

Since I was without a cell phone, I called from the airport in St Louis that I was on my way.   The airport was still boarded up since the April tornado hit.
http://youtu.be/oiV8VBygAbk  The bus driver took a rural route so it took a long time.  Without  a call on arrival, I was pleased to see my son waiting to pick me up.

Joanne had called me months earlier to inquire about sharing a room on the trip.  She was nicknamed Giggles on the trip. She brought 2 of those hang-on-the-hook cosmetic bags. She got up at 6AM and then woke me at 7AM so I could shower.  Even with a lead on time, I would be ready for 8AM breakfast before her.  Once she walked out of the room dragging hose from her shoe and once she left powder footprints on the carpet.  It’s a good thing she had a room mate.  On the plane she was watching a movie with the ear phones and laughing so much that she was making the rest of us laugh.  I don’t think she realized it with those ear phones.  HA!

Ah yes, over 400 emails in my Yahoo, not counting gmail and hotmail. 

Got up at 4AM on Saturday which is not bad.  I rode the little motorcycle downtown to the Route 66 Festival.  I walked around and looked at the cars.  Got a little hungry and had some chili.  Stopped briefly in the Old State Capitol which was good because I realized I have tour guide duty next Saturday.  I fixed a batch of zucchini that I had in the fridge from before I left that need to be used up.


No comments:

Blog Archive